Chinglish - Page 2

Re: Chinglish

finger to keyboard and composed:

Last year I paid AU$2000 for a treadmill and got one lousy scrap of
photocopied paper ... with instructions for a different machine.

I have a bench drill with the word "MACHWERY" on the name plate, ie
the IN has become a W, probably because of bad handwriting. The
manufacturer couldn't be bothered to get his own name right.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Chinglish

Relative to total design, manufacturing and marketing costs,
the cost to proofread a manual is infinitesimal.

Like I said, it's sheer laziness.  Nothing else.

Re: Chinglish

Well, it shouldn't be hard for english speakers to write decent manuals in
English.

I did actually mean that, perhaps I should've added "can't find someone
like that, for the price they are willing to pay".

--

Wing Wong.

Re: Chinglish

And naturally you would pay more to buy the same product with a manual in
what you consider to be good English?

Ken

Re: Chinglish

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 00:35:03 +0000 (UTC), Wing Fong Wong

There is no need to find someone to *write* the manual, only to *proof
read* it. The labour cost for the former would be low, as it would be
done within the PRC.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Chinglish

finger to keyboard and composed:

I'd spend a little cash and hire a professional, or at least someone
who is a fluent native speaker. I wouldn't trash the reputation of my
business by producing incomprehensible documentation.

None of this was ever in question.

BTW, I am not monolingual, but I wouldn't dream of attempting to write
a technical document in my mother tongue. If I did, I have no doubt it
would be full of clangers.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Chinglish

try www.engrish.com !!! some real classics there.

Ben

Re: Chinglish

< SNIP >

That's a classic  ROFL

Re: Chinglish

Hey, I have seen English (Aus, US, UK) manuals that are not much
better..

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 17:16:04 +1000, Franc Zabkar