Cheapest way to buy a 1mw laser in Australia?

Altronics charges $15 for the same thing you can get on Ebay for $1 but customs
wont allow it to be imported without an import license.

Is there anywhere in Aus that sells these at a reasonable price.
Even half a mw will do for my purposes. Red or green, doesn't matter.

Mike

Re: Cheapest way to buy a 1mw laser in Australia?

Some crappy kids toy guns & keyrings often have them in them for a few
dollars. Just an idea...

Re: Cheapest way to buy a 1mw laser in Australia?

After more searching $7 including postage seems to be the cheapest in Aus. The
promotional keyrings etc. seem to be around the $14 mark.

Mike

Re: Cheapest way to buy a 1mw laser in Australia?
Try $2 reject type shops, for better stuff oatleyelectronics.com

Re: Cheapest way to buy a 1mw laser in Australia?

I bought a 5mW red laser in a nice case with a latching on/off switch for u=
nder 5 Euro in Germany - you may find something similar in Australia in one=
 of the larger hardware stores, it may have slipped through the insane nann=
y-state laws on laser diodes introduced in OZ. Mine is labelled 'Laser Edge=
 ZJ-99602' and is normally used to align things horizontally or vertically =
via a lens that generates a straight line - easily removed to reveal the br=
ight 5mW laser spot. The case has two bubble level gauges and it runs from =
two AAA cells.

Re: Cheapest way to buy a 1mw laser in Australia?

A laser or laser pointer? Only the latter is a banned import (or more
specifically classed as a weapon requiring special permission to
import). Even then a laser pointer with an output of 1.0mW or less is
legal to import.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/LaserPointers.pdf

Re: Cheapest way to buy a 1mw laser in Australia?

customs

Customs seize anything that isn't supplied with paperwork certifying that the
power is less than 1mw. It would appear that the sticker on the side of the
laser isn't sufficient evidence.

The $1 lasers you can buy on Ebay are typically shipped with no paperwork at
all. Making a claim against customs for the delivery of incorrectly seized item
far exceeds the cost of the item and if your attempt fails, then you have to pay
their legal bills.

Effectively it's only worth while importing if you are buying in bulk and have
the time and patience to deal with the customs paperwork.

Mike

Re: Cheapest way to buy a 1mw laser in Australia?
customs
pay

Still doesn't stop you importing lasers as such, just laser pointers.

Re: Cheapest way to buy a 1mw laser in Australia?

Tell that to the judge. Customs will say that if it can be pointed then it's a
laser pointer.

Mike

Re: Cheapest way to buy a 1mw laser in Australia?
customs will  not take you to court etc.. if  you import something
prohibited in australia.

 they will just send you a letter saying that they seized it .... thats what
they did when  i tried to import  some body building suppliments.....   but
found  a 85 %  foolproof way  of getting them from overseas anyways..... ;-)

Re: Cheapest way to buy a 1mw laser in Australia?

 I bought a baby remote keyboard with built-in laser, that claims it's a
Class II laser (described as up to 1mW).

 I didn't buy it for the pointer function, and in fact forgotten it had
this feature till I opened the box and had a prominent Caution Class II
laser sticker staring me in the face.

 Ditto for a presentation remote for laptops with a built in laser.  But
that one clearly stated < 1mW.  I'm betting they didn't even try to look
at that one either.

 I still see to this day spinning children's toys with built-in lasers
for effect, with NO laser warnings either.  Clearly, customs is lazy on
this, or they don't really care.  I'm guessing they're taking the same
stance as the RTA (any vehicle with "turbo" in the name is banned for L
and P drivers) if the product has "Laser" in the name, they'll look it
over with fine toothed comb, otherwise, free for all.
--
Kite fliers keep it up longer.

Re: Cheapest way to buy a 1mw laser in Australia?
what a load of crap.   !!! dont worry about what you read , !!!

i just received  today  from ebay :

6 peices of 300mw laser diodes   ebay : 120726607987
4 peices 10 mw green laser modules : ebay : 400195839656
2  peices  :   1 WATT LED :  ebay : 270664621237

and on the parcel , where you have to write description of goods was : LASER
DIODES

 you sure you looked on ebay ?

or you can get this in australia on ebay  : 300564339527

Re: Cheapest way to buy a 1mw laser in Australia?
what do you intend to do with half a dozen infra red lasers?

Re: Cheapest way to buy a 1mw laser in Australia?
i intend to burn stuff and hopefully not get blind in the process.