cheap transformers wanted - Page 2

Re: cheap transformers wanted

I think I sold about 400 kits Fritz, which wasn't too bad for pre-internet days.

Most of my input was software, as the hardware for me, was fairly straight
forward Z80 micro technology for 22 years
ago. Article was spread over 4 monthly issues, as it covered a lot of ground.

XT keyboards were cheap, and the most common type used at that time, so I went
with that. However I had concerns that
some types were a little temperamental, as they lacked some of the critical
timing, that an XT motherboard required.

Leo Simpson tried half a dozen different XT types he was running in the SC
office, and all worked, so he figured it
wasn't of any real concern.

If I was doing the same thing today, I would simply squirt a serial USB stream
from any old PC at it, for editing messages.

It was one of my first electronics projects, where I could say to my wife, look
at this, and she understood what it was
I was working on. I made up the first one for my youngest daughters 21st birday
party, just for a bit of fun.

Best part was doing the software to produce not only the scrolling, rolling,
etc., text, but graphics such as jumping
phones, crocodiles, space creatures, I had sheets of graph paper mapped out,
with what seemed to be hundreds of
different critters jumping about.

Eventually, I revamped it from a single colour moving message board, to a
tri-colour unit, however we never printed an
article about the changes. Basically, we had to change the displays from one to
two colour LEDs, movement produced the
tri-colour, and the rest was done in software.

I must have made all of about 5 cents an hour for the amount of time I put into
this one, but as I say, it was great fun
producing something that you could actually show ***anyone***, and they
understood what it was you were working on.

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.dontronics.com/blog
Re: cheap transformers wanted
Don,

You forgot the beer you paid your trusty `man friday'

mik

Re: cheap transformers wanted

Sorry Mick.

So I got paid 5 cents an hour, but had to shell out a beer an hour to my trusted
man servant Egor (Eyegor?), er Mick, so
I actually made a small fortune.

I also found out that the quickest way to make a small fortune is to start off
in the share market with a large fortune.

Cheers Don...

============================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.dontronics.com/blog
Re: cheap transformers wanted

Good one...

I always said I can guarantee leaving the races with a million dollars
in your pocket......  You have to go with two million Dollars

Mik

Re: cheap transformers wanted

Don't worry - take it as an initiation into aus.electronics ;)

Re: cheap transformers wanted

"kreed"
 "Gagi-9a6aag"

Don't worry - take it as an initiation into aus.electronics ;)

** How about I call you and idiot for no reason then ??

     How do you like that ?

.... Phil

Re: cheap transformers wanted

Point taken Phil.

Re: cheap transformers wanted
WELL PHIL ** YOU ABUSE ** PEOPLE ** FOR NO  **** REASON.

Re: cheap transformers wanted

Haha, I've had a few of those! Sent the last one back to the agency.

Site Timeline