Charging batteries inside an appliance.

Hi

I also have an interesting idea below which may help you or other people and I am wondering if you know anything about it

In some items such as digital cameras and MP3 recorders the batteries can be hard and time consuming to remove from their case so that they can be recharged or replaced. I thought of an easier way to save doing this and I am wondering how safe it would be to do. I am thinking of using rechargeable batteries that are a slightly lower voltage than the non rechargeable, and then slowly charging them when they are in the case of the digital camera or MP3 recorder. I could do this by having two wires going into the battery case so that they are attached to the correct ends of the batteries to charge them. On the other end of the wires would be a small plug that would plug into wires that attach to a battery charger. I would not use the appliances while they are being charged.

I do have some battery chargers for small batteries and I could connect the terminals on the batteries to the charger like described above. However, if these charges charge too quickly I may have to get another charger that does it more slowly. I think my chargers may take about 15 hours to fully charge from a flat battery. However, I could get another charger that takes about 24 hours if a slower rate is needed.

I heard batteries can get hot if they are charged too quickly so I am wondering what a safe time would be?

Also I am wondering what a safe voltage would be to charge batteries of appliances while they are inside the case and if there is much chance a trickle charge battery charger could damage them?

Your help will be appreciated. Regards Richard.

Reply to
richardghole

I also have an interesting idea below which may help you or other

( snip simple idea)

** Charging cells while fitted inside a device is a common and time honoured practice. The cells may be in the form of a pack or fitted loose into a battery compartment.

However, there is ONE major trap that I learned the hard way !!

ALWAYS fit a **diode** between the charging jack on the item and the batteries - so that current CANNOT flow back from the cells WHEN there is a short on the line to the socket (or a reverse polarity charging situation.)

Failure to do this may well result in a FIRE inside the item.

Also, it is a VERY good idea to connect the charging socket via a SPDT on/off switch so that the batteries only charge when the device is switched OFF.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison