Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

In Sydney, the section of York street opposite QVB has been home to
electronics stores for a very long time. In the last few years there
have been four of them there - DSE, Tandy, Jaycar and David Reid.

Some people may say that was only three different stores since Tandy
joined DSE in the Woolies stable, but now the Tandy store there has
been closed and David Reid appears to have disappeared into the ether.

Jaycar has moved into the now combined space where Tandy and David
Reid used to be.

... and then there were two.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

It is the sign of the times and of the hobby/trade generally.  :(

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

"Andy Wood"

** Was in Jaycar York Street yesterday  -  seems to be the exact same store
Tandy was in to me.  A major improvement for Jaycar from the pokey shop they
used to occupy.

The nearby DSE store has almost given up on supplying small components  -
ie bins for 16mm pots were all empty. So staffer " Chris " phoned the Mid
City store for me and confirmed they had good stocks of what I was after.

I was told the new DSE Pitt Street store carries no small components.

.......   Phil

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

The new Jaycar entrance, with the stairs going down,  is exactly where
the Tandy entrance was, but the new  store is much wider than Tandy
was. It extends right across under Adelong Computers, which is where
David Reid was. The old David Reid entrance is closed off and that and
the old display window are covered with a Jaycar sign. When I was in
the new store a pegboard panel behind the displays of loudspeakers in
that corner of the store was down, and the old stairs that used to
lead into the David Reid store were visible.

pokey shop they

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

Do you remember the original Jaycar / John Carr in a basement in Haymarket.
Anything is an improvement over that store.

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

That was always inevitable.
I have fond memories of spending many hours in "Silicon Alley" as a
kid, which of course would be followed by a detour to Sheriden
Electronics.

Dave.

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

    Ah, the memories. But do you remember what preceded Sheridan
Electronics?
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/bag.jpgmight give
you a clue. :)

Bob

Re: Changing face of Sydney's Silicon Alley.

"Bob Parker"

**  Never forget a face like that, now would I  ??

**  LOL  !

That store disappeared *very soon* after opening.

BTW:

Did a lot of business with Barry Sheridan at his hobby shop in the late
1980s   -  as result of my being mildly addicted to building RC racing boats