CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

Back on the 20-Nov-2010, I mentioned the possibility of LEDs for domestic
lighting.

I had ordered some of these, I wanted something that was physically equivalent
to what I was replacing, so I could best
judge apples with apples:
E27 3W 42-LED Energy Saving LED Light Bulb - White (220V)
Price: $7.92 free shipping
3W, but the review reckons they are equiv to 8 to 12w CFL.

Well, they arrived today.
In the family room where we do all of our reading, I have a light fitting that
has provision for 3 lamps, and I have
been running 3 by CFLs of about 8W to 12W for many years. This has suited us
fine.

I just tried the new 3 by 3W LEDs, and there is no way we could suffer from the
lack of light intensity, or bad white
colour. It was worse than going back to a kero lamp. :-) Yes, we started off
married life with a kero fridge too.

I am guessing that they only offered about 25% of the light that the CFLs were
outputting.

So I think that costs must drop (per watt), and quality must go up before these
become acceptable.

They are now sitting in the cupboard as spares, or novelty talking pieces. :-(

Cheers Don...

=================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

Thanks that does make sense, LED torches ain't much better when you
start to compare. They light up an area but not to the intensity of a
small quartz bulb.

last night went out for a meal and noticed that the lights were coloured
- looking through the gaps there were ordinary tungsten bulbs - this
place is fairly new and I would have thought that energy saving bulbs
would have be installed in a new restaurant.

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

I'd consider some led torches to have superior light to any incandescent
that I've owned. The 2AA led lenser that I own is spectacular. I assume
that it has a luxeon module.

Had anyone used the luxeon type halogen downlight replacements? I'd be
interested in using them for work lighting, or even bedside reading if I
can find a suitable dimmable table lamp to take them.

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

T5 straight fluros are excellent.  Have been using here for about 12
months now.  Much better than the equivalent CFL

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

my experience is 3watt led = 3watt CFL (if that were possible) - still
useful lighting for the toilet and perhaps some outdoor lighting where
low intensity is sufficient

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?
With the limited experience here we found 15 watt cfl needs at least a
12w led to get anything approaching decent illumination , with the
replacement for my Maglight I went to a 2.8 led to better the std bulb ,
it currently uses 3 re-chargable batteries and a spacer for the right
voltage and lasts well on use with good illumination and a reasonable
soft white

--

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

lighting.

outputting.

I've only just changed over to a CFL for the bedhead light you bugger.

I did try one there decades ago but it didnt last very long.

I was using normal incandescent bulbs, on an X10 dimmer.
I have all the lights on the X10 system, so it was convenient
to go to bed by having the system turn that bedhead light on,
soft start using the dimmer, and then turn the house lights off
after 5 mins or so, and then dim the bedhead light half an hour
later or so. I dont read in bed anymore. Turn the bedhead light
off with a manual switch in series when going to sleep.

That way when you turn the bedhead light on again in the morning
or during the night, it comes on at less than full brightness so you
dont feel its too bright. I almost always get up in the dark, even
in summer.

That bulb last for a decade or so, because its on a soft start.
Just had it fail and couldnt put my hand on the stash of incandescent
bulbs quickly so put one of the free CFLs I got in the fitting instead.
Its such a soft light even when on full that there isnt any need to
dim that one for when you turn it on in the night after sleeping.

Gunna be interesting to see how long it lasts this time.

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

I hate those CFL's their freak'n useless, who wants grey light!!
You need about 3-4 CFL to equal a standard bulb that you can read by.
So the energy used is almost the same, defeating the whole purpose of
"energy saving", and at 4x the cost of bulbs there not that better off.

LEDS are Ok if you have like a Hundred of them, otherwise you would have
to sit almost on top of it to read by.

You just can't beat Old Technology, these are just another example of
Newer Technology being more expensive and not as good as the Older
Technology.

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

Yup, I tried some too, and found much the same.  When you think about
the fact that both light sources are actually phosphors, one pumped by
mercury arc in fluoro, and one by UV emission in the LED, maybe you see
why the light output is about the same per watt.  The phosphors must be
about the same in conversion efficiency.  And in a fluoro, you have a
much bigger area of emitter, so a better light spread, and not as much
point heat dissipation as in a LED.

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

Medium/high power LEDs are still too pricey for mass consumption but give
them a couple years...
If anyone wants to test how a LED lamp compares to a CFL I'd suggest the
relatively inexpensive IKEA table lamp called Jansjo (http://www.ikea.com /
us/en/catalog/products/10128734). I found it really good for reading but
don't expect its light intensity to come even close to a G23 table 9 Watt
CFL, which is the one I tested it against.

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

Fark, the ripoff merchants want 3 times as much for it here.
http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/30128733

Just for that one tho, must be on special or sumfin.

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

Don,

I just got some http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44577 and very
happy with them. They replaced 4 50 W halogens in my kitchen.

I also got http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.47493 , they
replaced 2 40 W bulbs in kitchen hood and work very well. I have to add
that original hood bulbs were around $3.50 to buy (Philips brand) and
failing at the rate of 1 per month (don't know why, fan vibration?)

Now the question is how long they will last as only been in service for
short time.

Tom

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

They might also be good to replace these 'candle" shaped bulbs as the
shape is similar

They tend to have a large failure rate, I think its mostly to do with
them usually being used pointing upwards, which
prevents heat travelling up the stems and to the base as a heatsink.

Re: CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

LEDs worked great for my back deck:
http://www.eevblog.com/2009/12/19/eevblog-50-solid-state-led-lighting-and-h =
ow-thermal-design-sucks/
Skip to the end if you want to see the final effect.

Dave.
www.eevblog.com

Site Timeline