CFLs again

I wandered through Ikea yesterday (what a bizarre experience, BTW). Anyhoo,
they had some cheap and cheerful desk lamps for 10 Bucks. They accept MES
base lamps. Ikea offered a choice of two globes with this lamp: A 25 Watt,
mirror back incandescent, or a 7 Watt CFL. The CFL rocks. Whilst I did not
have a light meter on hand, the light output of the CFl was significantly
greater and the heat generated significantly lower than the incandescent.
The CFl was 10 Bucks and the incandescent was $2.50. No comparison, IMO.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: CFLs again

snipped-for-privacy@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au says...

Mercury ?
RF & IR Noise ?
Reliability ?

Give it a year and update us, cheers

--
Regards
Mike

**I'm not going to eat it, so it doesn't much matter.

**I've never had a problem with RFI with any CFL.

**I've owned several Ikea CFLs in the past. They last a LONG time. In fact,
out of the four I previously purchased, all are still operational. In fact,
the ONLY CFLs I had trouble with are the El CheapoT types, which appear to
be mechanically fragile compared with my preferred, Philips types.

**I didn't buy one, but I did buy a couple (different sort) of 7 Watters for
the stove (no, no, not the oven) lighting. Finding the size in MES fitting
has been a PITA, but the Ikea ones do the trick nicely. They're such a PITA
to replace, I like the idea of leaving them in place for a very long time.
Further and for the record, the reason I went to Ikea was for these nifty
little kitchen cupboard door dampers. Very neat. 15 Bucks for a pack of 6.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: CFLs again

On 26 Feb 2007 04:08:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.au (Mike) put finger to
keyboard and composed:

snipped-for-privacy@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au says...

I found this interesting document that claims that incandescent bulbs
are responsible for more mercury than CFLs.

 US Environmental Protection Agency fact sheet
 http://www.nema.org/lamprecycle/epafactsheet-cfl.pdf

CFLs Responsible for Less Mercury than Incandescent Light Bulbs

"Ironically, CFLs present an opportunity to prevent mercury from
entering our air, where it most affects our health. The highest source
of mercury in our air comes from burning fossil fuels such as coal,
the most common fuel used in the U.S. to produce electricity. A CFL
uses 75% less energy than an incandescent light bulb and lasts at
least 6 times longer. A power plant will emit 10mg of mercury to
produce the electricity to run an incandescent bulb compared to only
2.4mg of mercury to run a CFL for the same time."

- Franc Zabkar