cfl's

I wish you people would stop talking about flashing CFL's cause mine just started flashing at the rate of about 130 flashes per min when off and is annoying (and now I have to get a ladder before I go to bed)

Reply to
F Murtz

Update it stopped flashing a few minutes after switching off

Reply to
F Murtz

Try buying a decent brand !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

So I should be forced by the government to spend $10 for a lamp that used to cost $1 If I don"t want flicker which I did not have with the $1 lamp

Reply to
F Murtz

**If you're dumb enough to pay $10.00 for a decent quality CFL, then you deserve what you get. I've never paid more than $6.00 (retail) for a quality (Philips) CFL. Except for my Par 38 replacements, of course. Further and for the record: I have CFLs everywhere I can put them and have done so for at least the last 5 years. I've had two failures:
  • One was a cheap, crappy one. I don't buy them anymore.
  • A possum sat on one. I now place the ones in the garage under protective covers.

Additionally: The ones in the bathrooms replaced the reflecting back jobbies (in those XLTastic fittings). They're 23 Watt Philips. Not only do they deliver more light (measured with a light meter), even now, after 3 years, then the incandescents they replaced, but the light is actually more evenly spread and I've saved money, both on power and replacing failed incandescents. I realise it is popular to bash CFLs, but I find them excellent for the task. Of course, I don't buy crap CFLs (anymore).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

CFLs are cheaper than incandescents when all costs are considered.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

"Stupider Than Anyone Else"

** 100% WRONG.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

quality

Phillips, "quality"? Not IME. Even had a couple dead from new!

You mean there are worse ones than Phillips? (Mirrabella comes close I guess.)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

**Either you're unlucky, or I'm very lucky. At last count I have about a 20 of the suckers all over the place. They all get used at least a couple of times a week. No failures with the Philips ones. Well, except for the one that the possum sat/fell/jumped on.
**Well, yeah. Mirabella is really crappy.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

It's Philips btw and I've had no trouble with them except that the ultra cheap ones they have now, made in China aren't as long lived as the original European made ones. For the money, you can hardly complain though.

I do however resent how their luminous output is compared to 'softone bulbs' instead of genuine GLS bulbs.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Most of mine are Philips too. No reliability problems but shorter lifetime with the cheap Chinese made ones. They're rated at 6,000 hrs but you can get 9,000,

12,000 and 15,000 hr CFLs from other sources. Osram were particularly good in that respect IME. I had one last over 6 yrs in a frequently used room.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

How old?. One of the heavy phillips has done quite a few years in the garage. It mate installed into the office just faded. Probably far more use and the fact that I do not need to read anything in the garage up that end.

Reply to
terryc

You bought a bad brand or there's a problem with your fitment.

Please don't use the "greengrocers' apostrophe" btw.

Simple plurals just need the adding of an s mostly. No apostrophe needed. I always chuckle when a apub publishes its menu as including " fish and chip's "..

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

How do you account for the energy usage ? I was buying CFLs and seeing savings when they cost at least £10. Now you can buy them ( subsidised ) for 30p or even less. That's less than a GLS lamp.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

How about C.F.L.S

Reply to
F Murtz

As opposed to CFLs ?

I don't see your point.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I have 39p CFLs that work just fine. If yours are a problem, then return then to the retailer.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

needs full stops to denote abbreviation. how about cfls if one did not know what a cfl is how would one know that cfls is plural at least every one knows what was meant with my incorrect apostrophe.I realize that with caps and small s it is evident

Reply to
F Murtz

Needs capital letters to denote start of sentence, not to mention commas and full stops.

Reply to
Davo