cfl's

I wish you people would stop talking about flashing CFL's cause mine
just started flashing at the rate of about 130 flashes per min when off
and is annoying (and now I have to get a ladder before I go to bed)

Re: cfl's

Update it stopped flashing a few minutes after switching off

Re: cfl's

Try buying a decent brand !

Graham

Re: cfl's
So I should be forced by the government to spend $10 for a lamp that
used to cost $1 If I don"t want flicker which I did not have with the $1
lamp

Re: cfl's

**If you're dumb enough to pay $10.00 for a decent quality CFL, then you
deserve what you get. I've never paid more than $6.00 (retail) for a quality
(Philips) CFL. Except for my Par 38 replacements, of course. Further and for
the record: I have CFLs everywhere I can put them and have done so for at
least the last 5 years. I've had two failures:

* One was a cheap, crappy one. I don't buy them anymore.
* A possum sat on one. I now place the ones in the garage under protective
covers.

Additionally: The ones in the bathrooms replaced the reflecting back jobbies
(in those XLTastic fittings). They're 23 Watt Philips. Not only do they
deliver more light (measured with a light meter), even now, after 3 years,
then the incandescents they replaced, but the light is actually more evenly
spread and I've saved money, both on power and replacing failed
incandescents. I realise it is popular to bash CFLs, but I find them
excellent for the task. Of course, I don't buy crap CFLs (anymore).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: cfl's

quality

Phillips, "quality"? Not IME. Even had a couple dead from new!

You mean there are worse ones than Phillips?
(Mirrabella comes close I guess.)

MrT.

Re: cfl's

**Either you're unlucky, or I'm very lucky. At last count I have about a 20
of the suckers all over the place. They all get used at least a couple of
times a week. No failures with the Philips ones. Well, except for the one
that the possum sat/fell/jumped on.

**Well, yeah. Mirabella is really crappy.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: cfl's

Most of mine are Philips too. No reliability problems but shorter lifetime with
the cheap Chinese made ones. They're rated at 6,000 hrs but you can get 9,000,
12,000 and 15,000 hr CFLs from other sources. Osram were particularly good in
that respect IME. I had one last over 6 yrs in a frequently used room.

Graham

Re: cfl's

How old?. One of the heavy phillips has done quite a few years in the
garage. It mate installed into the office just faded. Probably far more
use and the fact that I do not need to read anything in the garage up
that end.

Re: cfl's

It's Philips btw and I've had no trouble with them except that the ultra cheap
ones they have now, made in China aren't as long lived as the original
European made ones. For the money, you can hardly complain though.

I do however resent how their luminous output is compared to 'softone bulbs'
instead of genuine GLS bulbs.

Graham

Re: cfl's

CFLs are cheaper than incandescents when all costs are considered.

Sylvia.

Re: cfl's

"Stupider Than Anyone  Else"

**  100%  WRONG.

.....   Phil

Re: cfl's

How do you account for the energy usage ? I was buying CFLs and seeing
savings when they cost at least 10. Now you can buy them ( subsidised )
for 30p or even less. That's less than a GLS lamp.

Graham

Re: cfl's

I have 39p CFLs that work just fine. If yours are a problem, then return then
to the retailer.

Graham

Re: cfl's

You bought a bad brand or there's a problem with your fitment.

Please don't use the "greengrocers' apostrophe" btw.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#Greengrocers.27_apostrophes

Simple plurals just need the adding of an s mostly. No apostrophe needed. I
always chuckle when a apub publishes its menu as including " fish and
chip's "..

Graham

Re: cfl's
How about C.F.L.S

Re: cfl's

As opposed to CFLs ?

I don't see your point.

Graham

Re: cfl's
   needs full stops to denote abbreviation.
how about cfls if one did not know what a cfl is how would one know that
cfls is plural at least every one knows what was meant with my incorrect
apostrophe.I realize that with caps and small s it is evident

Re: cfl's

Needs capital letters to denote start of sentence, not to mention commas
and full stops.

Site Timeline