cfl's

I replaced another one last week. Had very little use, still worked, but was so dim as to be useless :-( Replacement was lower wattage (15W Vs 20W) but FAR brighter!

BTW is anybody using the Embertec AV switch the government was conned into supplying to reduce GHG emmisions? Got one a few weeks ago, and it wants to turn the TV off every time you switch channels, after flashing for only a few seconds. Swapped it for another one, and it does exactly the same so obviously a design fault. Now if I paid for it I could demand my money back, but since my taxes paid for it the company gets to keep the money for faulty products. Designed in Australia, I guess that's what happens now we have almost no electronics industry, what's left is the dregs. A typical marketing company with no technical capability :-(

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Oh?! My bad. It's that they don't know they are already dead. :-))

Reply to
Damian

Give him a break guys!!! Just because he vouch for Abbot's Australian nativeness doesn't mean he's that retarded. :-)) He's got around four uni degrees and used to own jumbo jets too. ;-))

Reply to
Damian

I'm glad you brought this up. I got a one for the TV and couple more for PC, etc. I'm gonna open a new thread for this 'cos I reckon it's tax payer money pissed against a mud brick wall, meaning the stench lasts longer.

Reply to
Damian

For goodness' sake guys, can one of you change your name to Timmy or something?! I'm getting confused the hell out of my ass here. :-)

Reply to
Damian

Or we could all just change our names to Bruce :-)

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Compared to a few dollars for a 500W halogen lamp it sure is, but then you'd easily save that in electricity costs over a few years with reduced heat a big bonus. (even if they generate more heat than most people expect, still 100W after all, with most of that heat.) It will really become a no-brainer in a couple of years though when they will get a *lot* cheaper. However as a replacement for PAR56 type globes though, they are already cost effective!

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Bit pointless bothering, you'll be hanging yourself in just 2 days now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yes, no probs with it. read the leaflet. you probably haven't initialized / set it properly

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

You are simply falling into the trap obviously the designers fell into, just because it works for you and your setup, you assume it will work for every body else. The only set up is the time delay, (1,2 or 3 hours) which works fine *IF* I never use my remote while watching the TV. How many people do that I wonder? And operating the remote is supposed to reset the timer countdown, NOT make it go to sleep! Of course if you really think there is a setup option to fix it's current behaviour, why not simply state what it is? That would actually be appreciated!

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

So ring the manufacturer and see if they can explain it

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

I'm not spending money to find out what their excuse for it not being designed properly is. As I said if I had bought it I'd simply take it back. But like other people I have spoken to, since they didn't pay for it directly, and can't get a refund, they simply don't use it. A really smart company though, they got to sell FAR more than they otherwise would, and not have to worry about customers (or the government) demanding their money back.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Home brewing is not illegal and as far as I know selling old filament lamps is not illegal, the importing of them is.

Reply to
F Murtz

position the receiver so it doesn't receive the IR from the remote when you change channels

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

IF it was properly designed it wouldn't be necessary, and you still have to be able to wake the TV up in the first place, and to stop it switching off every couple of hours when you are still watching. The other solution is to do what many people do, and simply unplug it altogether. Bet they wouldn't sell many (after returns anyway) if people actually had to pay for them!

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

And proudly proclaim 30-40% increased efficiency over standard filament globes! :-) Not saying much of course!

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Seems to me you're more interested in bitching about it than actually fixing the problem. It shouldn't be difficult to place the receiver where you can still fire the remote at it, but it doesn't get IR when you point the remote at the tv.

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

I guess, I'm gona have to hang in, Abbot sent me a contract. Besides the rope you sent me didn't work. It's some hundred years old, from

1930's, it broke in half while I was trying to hang myself. :-) >
Reply to
Damian

Probably, they were referring to it's efficiency as a bathroom heater, I reckon. ;-)

Reply to
Damian

It's not illegal here in Oz. But, I know it's illegal in many countries. Even in here, with all the federal & state law mess we have here, I dunno whether it's legal in all the states, for example in NT.

Reply to
Damian