cfl's - Page 6

Re: cfl's

"felix_unger"

** Australia's lighting importers could not believe their luck when
approached by the Govt about phasing out GLS bulbs.

There was obviously big money in it for them, so the REAL issues with two so
very different products were never mentioned.

No CFL maker claims they can replace GLS bulbs in all or even most
situations or ever demonstrated the assumed cost benefit to be real.

The alleged CO2 reduction is non existent in reality.

** All true.

Greenies dreamt up the mad idea for political reasons and we know
technically savvy they are.

Banning transformer based plug paks was their other triumph.

No proper investigation into either ban was ever done and the public were
never asked to comment.

Bad law making, bad policy and bad thinking.

...  Phil

Re: cfl's

Were they actually banned?

I'd assumed that it was economics that eliminated them.

Sylvia.

Re: cfl's

Never been a fan of CFLs, it's a good thing LEDs matured into a much
superior alternative.

Re: cfl's

it hasn't really become cost effective yet, and I tried some, but the
output is too low. ok for desklamps tho.

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: cfl's

It's true that they're still pricey, I personally find the output very
good. I have a few 4.5W LEDs in some downlights scattered around the
house, a few in desk lamps as well. Oh, and a 1.somethingW globe in
the fridge. I have an outdoor globe as well, very bright. All doing a
great job.

One thing that drove me crazy about CFLs is a high-pitched tone that I
frequently encountered. Haven't noticed that with LEDs so far.

Re: cfl's

The Aldi 8 watt ones ($10) I reckon are equal to a 60 watt
incandescant
out of four one blew after a week so not convinced of reliability

The light is warm the brigther cool bring in to many bugs
--
Petzl
http://www.aec.gov.au/election/pva/

For the incorrect ones you tried maybe, but there are LED's replacing 500W
halogen floodlights now. That's when you start to see serious energy savings
and huge heat reduction!

Will be when the cost comes down. Not cost effective there yet IMO.

Trevor.

Re: cfl's

**More bollocks. I have a 100 Watt LED here right now. It is (measurably
and visibly) brighter than a 500 Watt halogen floodlight. LEDs head
lamps are now common-place amongst some automobiles.

So much for your "desklamp" bullshit.

Do some research, before you post more of your nonsense.

Refs:

http://lumin8lighting.com.au/category/floodlights

http://www.toyota.com.au/prius-v/range

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: cfl's

and how much did you pay for it?

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: cfl's

Compared to a few dollars for a 500W halogen lamp it sure is, but then you'd
easily save that in electricity costs over a few years with reduced heat a
big bonus.
(even if they generate more heat than most people expect, still 100W after
all, with most of that heat.)
It will really become a no-brainer in a couple of years though when they
will get a *lot* cheaper.
However as a replacement for PAR56 type globes though, they are already cost
effective!

Trevor.

Re: cfl's

And proudly proclaim 30-40% increased efficiency over standard filament
globes! :-)
Not saying much of course!

Trevor.

Re: cfl's

Probably, they were referring to it's efficiency as a bathroom heater, I
reckon. ;-)

Re: cfl's

Yep, they work pretty well for that, not so good if you want light in summer
though! :-(

Trevor.

Re: cfl's

I'm not aware of anybody mandating it.
I  believe it's a choice, so far.

The ones I buy dirt cheap from warehouses do last lot longer than that.

They cost more, dunno about heaps more. Depends where you buy it and how
smart shopper you are.

Re: cfl's

"Damian"

** GLS bulbs ( that do not met MEPS)  were taken off sale several years
ago -  it is now a punishable offence to sell them.

** Only for those with a stash of such bulbs OR are using the still legal
halogen kind.

Which is a hoot since they have little of no efficiency advantage.

Eg like these:

http://cdn.ukofficedirect.co.uk/od/item/180241/0-Huge-0.jpg

....  Phil

Re: cfl's

It was mandated anyway.

You're wrong, as always.

I get them for free and they last fine. Haven't had to replace any of them.

Nope, mine didn?t. Didn?t cost a cent.

In spades when you get them for free.

Re: cfl's

I have couple of incandescents in the house installed by(not me), in areas
where I rarely switch them on.
I haven't had the bulb police showing up and kicking my arse over it yet.
And the local Chinese shops and major warehouses still have them.

Are they free in Antarctica??!!

Are they free in Antarctica??!!

Re: cfl's

I still have a box full :)

now that you've outed yourself on usenet expect a SWAT team anytime soon..

eBay too

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: cfl's

Crap! Why don't I think before I talk?!! ;-)

Shouldn't it be illegal to sell them, like tobacco and alcohol?! :-)
BTW, Rod is a home brewer.
I would dob in the bastard, if I know where he live. :-))

Re: cfl's

Try the Weed Capital of NSW