cfl's

Wow - I hate the warm ones that much I didn't think anyone would like them! Different stroke I guess!

Reply to
Brendon

I dislike the "warm white". Some are even yellower than the incandescents they're meant to replace.

However, the cool white (or daylight) ones did take a bit of getting used to, after half a century of yellow night-times. But I'd never willingly go back - the world looks quite different when you can see the blue in things.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Were they actually banned?

I'd assumed that it was economics that eliminated them.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Heh... yep, each to their own :)

Reply to
Jeßus

**Points:
  • I did not say they presented NO hazard.
  • Given the long life and lower power consuption of CFLs, the amount of mercury entering the environment (if disposed of improperly) from CFLs is MUCH, MUCH lower than burning the amount of coal required to keep an incandescent of equivalent light output operating.
**I suggest you read the link I provided. The risk is minimal.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to

**Quite likely. Efficiency of LEDs and CFLs is similar.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

When triphosphours first came out an electrian suggest their long life and improved brightness would be a benefit. Well it was to the manufacturer, I bought a couple. Bright yes, Warm white YUK. Cool white only way to go for these aging eyes. Am have difficulty finding Cool white in cfls and LEDs but I will continue my search..

Reply to
SG1

yes, they are

the cool seem too white to me and the warm too yellow. something in between would be good

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

I recall hearing of someone who was suing for getting skin cancer on his head allegedly caused by working under fluorescent tubes in an office all day

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

eBay

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

Doesn't mean that he has a valid claim just because he claims that tho.

Reply to
Rod Speed

yeah of course he has to prove it

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

I buy my cool white CFLs in Woolworths. Most recently, a few months ago.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Right, the price should be competitive by then. Hopefully a little less.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Yep, just replaced a two year old one with very little use yesterday.

You'll need it! I bought two Phillips cfl's a couple of years ago. One lasted a year, and when I went to replace it with the other it was dead from new! And of course I no longer had the reciept :-( Mirrabella I have found to be just as bad too, the electronics inside die before the tube.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

That's why they make different color temp versions, and have done with normal tubes before CFL's even existed. My preference is by far for quad phospur long tubes. They put out a better spread of light for the same energy, and a bettter spectrum spread as well.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

But not enough to be of any concern. I guess you never watched an old CRT TV or heaven forbid used a CRT computer monitor as they are far worse for radiation emmision.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

And what was the outcome of the case? Thrown out as he couldn't prove it was not from sun exposure I bet. (FAR more likely)

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

For the incorrect ones you tried maybe, but there are LED's replacing 500W halogen floodlights now. That's when you start to see serious energy savings and huge heat reduction!

Will be when the cost comes down. Not cost effective there yet IMO.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

**Indeed. X-rays anyone?