cfl's - Page 2

Re: cfl's

Bullshit.
Grog & Petrol  were introduced to them by colonials.
They never died of skin cancer, simply 'cos they've adapted to it like
anybody with darker complexion.
UV was never a problem for them until colonials started shaggin them.
STDs and the rest is history.

Re: cfl's

Fact.

Wrong with grog.

Just another pig ignorant lie.

Just another pig ignorant lie.

Just another pig ignorant lie.

Just another pig ignorant lie.

Re: cfl's

Just another pig ignorant lie.

Just another pig ignorant lie.

Just another pig ignorant lie.

Just another pig ignorant lie.

Just another pig ignorant lie.

Just another pig ignorant lie.

Re: cfl's

Trevor is scared of Rod. ;-))
BTW, Rod is dead wrong, even in generic sense of 'glass'.
But, you won't get him to admit that. He would rather die. :-))

Re: cfl's

nothing is more sure than that, lol!

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: cfl's

Not the glass used in cfls it doesn?t.

Re: cfl's

They don?t do the UV thru glass, fuckwit.

Re: cfl's

so what are those fluro tubes made of then? stone? (fuckwit)

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: cfl's

Whether the majority of cfls emit harmful amount of UVs to us, is something
I'm not sure yet.
That need some reading of research papers.

Come on man. You should know that's incorrect. I know you are no big in
physics, but you still suppose to have chemistry experties, which should
give you enough background knowledge on that.
We have sunglasses(not just glasses) for a very good reason.

Re: cfl's

Your problem.

Nope, just try seeing if you can get anything to fluoresce using one.

You cant.

No its not with the glass used with cfls.

That?s why the black light UV tubes and bug zappers use quartz glass
instead.

You're just plain wrong there.

And physical chemistry use spectroscopy and anyone
who has done any of that knows that UV doesn?t get
thru the glass used with cfls.

It isnt to keep the UV out.

Re: cfl's

Roddles can you cite research on that?? If so please do...

Re: cfl's

Yep.

Go and get it yourself.

Re: cfl's

I will take that as an "I have NO IDEA" as usual...

Re: cfl's

More fool you. Its such a well known problem that
there hasn?t been any research on it for more than
a century now. Try any textbook on spectroscopy.

Re: cfl's

I quote again, your comment says,  "UV doesn't get through glass".
Dead incorrect.
Not specifically about cfls.

Re: cfl's

My everyday spectacles have a coating to deter UV. So optical glass alows UV
to pass.

Re: cfl's

" >>>>>

Your problem too, 'cos of your silly claim about cfls not emitting UV.

Read and learn.

According to the European Commission Scientific Committee on Emerging and
Newly Identified Health Risks (SCENIHR) in 2008, CFLs may pose an added
health risk due to the ultraviolet and blue light emitted. This radiation
could aggravate symptoms in people who already suffer skin conditions that
make them exceptionally sensitive to light. The light produced by some
single-envelope CFLs at distances of less than 20 cm could lead to
ultraviolet exposures approaching the current workplace limit set to protect
workers from skin and retinal damage. Industry sources claim the UV
radiation received from CFLs is too small to contribute to skin cancer and
the use of double-envelope CFLs "largely or entirely" mitigates any other
risks.[63]

A 2012 study comparing cellular health effects of CFL light and incandescent
light found statistically significant cell damage in cultures exposed to CFL
light. Spectroscopic analysis confirmed the presence of significant UVA and
UVC radiation, which the study's authors conjectured was attributable to
damage in the bulbs' internal phosphor coatings. No cellular damage was
observed following exposure to incandescent light of equivalent intensity.
The study's authors suggest that the ultraviolet exposure could be limited
by the use of "double-walled" bulbs manufactured with an additional glass
covering surrounding the phosphor-coated layer.[6

I'm 100% right about that.
Physics isn't your domain, neither is biology.
But Wikipedia is free, as you may already know.

Re: cfl's

And a full glass light fitting will do the same job, including the $10
batten fix frosted glass balls. I suggest you buy some of those and stop
worrying.

Trevor.

Re: cfl's

I wouldn't dare to wear sunglasses that doesn't provide UV filtering. Does
more damage than any good.
What is the purpose of sunglasses, then?

Re: cfl's

Until polarised and then UV filtering sunglasses were to look cool. My specs
have a UV filter film.
My sunnies are polarised so I'm covered, literally...