cfl's - Page 2

Re: cfl's
On Mon, 16 May 2011 23:19:04 +1000, terryc

They still get used, but yeah, a normal wood heater is vastly more
efficient than an open fireplace.

Re: cfl's
On Mon, 16 May 2011 17:12:11 +1000, "Trevor Wilson"

Type of wood, how green is it (if at all), how much moisture it
contains, the weather itself and of course the fireplace/wood
heater/stove characteristics would all make a difference.

Indeed.

Not really. My nearest neighbor is about 2KM away, who also uses wood
for heating and cooking... which brings us around to another thing I
take issue with - your generalising about banning fires. The notion of
_not_ using wood heaters here (NE Tasmania) is simply absurd :) Most
urban areas are another matter...  but then theres no end to the
problems living in such places. I'm just glad they all do in fact live
there and not in the bush...

Re: cfl's

If you need to run it off 12v, like a battery or car type install,
looks like you would need to step
it up to the 32-36v required.  Otherwise you will need to use a mains
supply to provide the voltage
required.  This would be a pain as power supplies with this output are
not commonplace.

Re: cfl's
oatley electronics sell a cfl inverter that runs of 12 vdc and can operate
up to 100w worth of  240 v cfl`s.

If you need to run it off 12v, like a battery or car type install,
looks like you would need to step
it up to the 32-36v required.  Otherwise you will need to use a mains
supply to provide the voltage
required.  This would be a pain as power supplies with this output are
not commonplace.

Re: cfl's

You can also get cfls that work direct off 12V. I have some in a shed on
a property and they are excellent. 3 x 25W units light the 6x6m shed
very nicely. Usually I just run the one light.

That bit I figured out for myself :-)

That I'm not so sure about. Trevor said it would be easy tho :-)

Re: cfl's
12 v cfl  are  a waste  of time , YOU WANT something you can get at the
corner shop.  YOU WONT get 12 v cfls at the corner shop.

Re: cfl's

My corner shop is online these days and these are plentiful there :-) I
don't really see how the failing of local suppliers makes a product
better or worse. Although you can get them at bunnings so I guess
they're not that hard to come by, just a little pricey for bunnings.
Personally I think the 12V cfls are an excellent solution, it's very
simple to get lighting in a lot more places with them.

Michael

Re: cfl's
so  you can get them from a online store " straight away ?" no.

buy or make a cfl driver / inverter  for 240 v cfl`s then if your out campin
etc....you can  buy them anywhere , heck  even the corner shop and servo
sellem !.

Re: cfl's

No, but as I said Bunnings sell them if I get desperate. As for online I
just have to buy a few extra. For my shed I bought a dozen

But doesn't that just transfer the problem to the driver? :-)

Michael

Site Timeline