cfl's

CFL's
Just found out how to get enough light out of em.
just bought a 75 watt bayonet monster.

Re: cfl's
or replace them with led's

--

Re: cfl's

Not bright enough.   I want a 250w one ;)

http://ld-greenlife.en.alibaba.com/product/433137357-212087508/250W_energy_ =
saving_lamp_CE_RoHS_.html?tracelog3D%cgsotherproduct4

Re: cfl's
http://ld-greenlife.en.alibaba.com/product/433137357-212087508/250W_energy_saving_lamp_CE_RoHS_.html?tracelog=cgsotherproduct4

Yes that is more like it but they did not have any.

Re: cfl's
http://ld-greenlife.en.alibaba.com/product/433137357-212087508/250W_energy_saving_lamp_CE_RoHS_.html?tracelog=cgsotherproduct4

I have a pair of 100W LEDs here, just don't have the circuit to drive them.

http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.PRIME_100W_6000_6500K_8000LM_LED_Emitter_Metal_Plate_White_-33652

Re: cfl's
http://ld-greenlife.en.alibaba.com/product/433137357-212087508/250W_energy_saving_lamp_CE_RoHS_.html?tracelog=cgsotherproduct4
http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.PRIME_100W_6000_6500K_8000LM_LED_Emitter_Metal_Plate_White_-33652

**The specs list the power requirements, which are easy enough to implement.
If I were you, I'd be fr more concerned about dealing with the heat. Those
emitters will dissipate more than 50 Watts each.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: cfl's

Would it be possible from 12V? A 240V circuit is available so no point
reinventing the wheel but there is nothing for 12V.

Apparently a Pentium 4 heatsink is enough and I have plenty of those
sitting around.

Re: cfl's
probably, depending on the specs (which I don't know) but if it is
100w device (compared to claims that it will give equivalent output to
a 100w incandescent) , you will need about 9a @ 12v

You would want to have the fan running too, and absolutely
excellent thermal bonding to the LED.  50w is a lot of power to
dissipate
particularly in such a small device.

Re: cfl's

**Possible, but dumb. Use a 36 Volt supply.

**As others have said, you'll need VERY good bonding and a fan. Look for a
heat sink with better than 1.5 degrees C/Watt (at a minimum!). 1 degree
C/Watt would be better. LEDs lose efficiency as temperatures rise.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: cfl's

How do I do that in the car? :-)

It could be interesting. 50W of power is similar to a computer CPU and
those don't run very long without a fan :-)

Re: cfl's

A low powered desktop CPU :)   Some of them quote 90-140w, and in the
case of an IC, AFAIK, almost all of that
is lost in heat.

Kind of like getting 1-2 50w soldering irons, (though the top of a CPU
probably has a much smaller surface area than a soldering iron tip and
shaft) and getting them to stay below about 50 c when running
continuously.  Think of the heatsink area it would need without a fan.

Re: cfl's

Every last ounce of power than goes into a cpu gets lost in heat. I had
this conversation recently with someone about how much heat from a 60W
light bulb ends up heating the room. My answer was all of it assuming no
light escapes out the windows.

It will be interesting the see. If it is a problem then I will just get
a bigger heatsink or run the fan.

Re: cfl's

That would be correct.  The computer analogy would also be correct
when I think about it, assuming
no light from the monitor leaves the room via windows also.
Everything that goes into the PC and its parts would turn into heat.

Excellent thermal bonding is essential between the LED package and the
heatsink, to allow the heat to flow through from the LED's to the
heatsink fast enough.  An analogy would be like putting a 1/2" pipe in
to drain your shower.  The sewer system can easily handle the amount
of water that needs to be drained, but the small drain pipe to the
sewer becomes a bottleneck.
The water would build up, faster than it could leave.  The same
happens with the heat in this LED/Heatsink design if there isnt a VERY
good thermal bond.

Re: cfl's

It must be correct because, being a newsgroup, 50 people would have
jumped in to tell us what idiots we are otherwise :-)

Do you think CPU paste will be ok?

Re: cfl's

You will need that, but you need a good area of surface to surface
contact.

Re: cfl's

http://ld-greenlife.en.alibaba.com/product/433137357-212087508/250W_energy_saving_lamp_CE_RoHS_.html?tracelog=cgsotherproduct4
http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.PRIME_100W_6000_6500K_8000LM_LED_Emitter_Metal_Plate_White_-33652
Power supply is easy:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/3-0a-100w-power-constant-current-source-led-driver-85-265v-47306

Power dissipation is still going to be a problem in the LED mount.

Re: cfl's
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/3-0a-100w-power-constant-current-source-led-driver-85-265v-47306

I have ordered that supply already but I also wanted to run it off 12V.

That part will be interesting. :-)

Re: cfl's
On Sun, 15 May 2011 11:45:14 +1000, "Trevor Wilson"

You are - and apparently always will be - absolutely clueless on these
matters. Always default to simplistic PC environmental opinions, for
some reason.

I wonder where 'Dr Karl' got his info from, or whether he bothered to
verify it for himself? It's sounds highly exaggerated to me. How much
particulate escapes depends on so many factors...

Using wood for fuel releases the same amount of carbon had that same
piece of wood been left on the ground to rot... albeit it releases all
that carbon in a very short time when burnt.

I'll happily keep running my wood heater(s) and combustion stove until
I keel over and cark it. It's none of yours or anyone else's damned
business.

That's one way to put it. Have you not noticed that our entire
'government' was 'privatised' years ago?

Re: cfl's

**I specified my source for the information. I can certainly attest to the
disgusting smoke on a still night in my area, where there are a tiny handful
of fires burning. I'm lucky. The smoke doesn't bother me, but I pity those
who have breathing difficulties.

**Indeed, which is why he specified a high end, modern fireplace.

**You may care to read what I wrote. I carefully excluded the CO2 effects,
for precisely that reason. Decomposition, however, does not release
combustion products that can be harmful to those who have breathing
problems.

**Nice attitude. Fuck everyone around you, as long as you're OK. Is that
about it?

**Yep.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: cfl's

Fireplace? I don't know of any one who burns wood that has a fireplace.

Site Timeline