Ceiling fan + light control over a single pair?

 I'd like to install a ceiling fan and light combo in a situation
where there is currently only a light fitted. Power is supplied
to the batten holder and a single pair runs down to the light
switch. Wiring is embedded in concrete. Installation of additional
wiring is not an option.

 Is there such an animal as a ceiling fan + light combo that can
be controlled (light independant of fan, a few speed settings
for the fan) over a single live pair? Any alternative options?

 TIA,

GB
--
 "Most police misconduct occurs when citizens challenge an individual
  officer's authority" (Reiss, 1971 c.in Jermier & Berkes 1979)

Re: Ceiling fan + light control over a single pair?

You can get remote control ceiling fans with lights. Presumably they
only need a single power connection?
e.g.
http://martecceilingfans.com.au/what 's_new

You can also get remote control light switches from Bunnings, if that
will in some way be useful.

Dave.

Re: Ceiling fan + light control over a single pair?

"GB"

** Be hard to find one that doesn't.

Most such fans are operated by a hand held remote - have been for decades.

.......   Phil

Re: Ceiling fan + light control over a single pair?

my house is like this where there is only a wire pair from the switch to
the light. what i did was take the nutral wire heading to the light,
make that the switched active for the fan and then group the neutrals to
a near by nutral (off another light socket run) and then atttach the
ground to a near by ground as well. this was the only way of doing it

Re: Ceiling fan + light control over a single pair?

I don't quite get what you've done, but if you've grabbed a neutral from
another circuit, I hope the active supplying the light and fan is on the
same circuit or else you might kill someone someday - ie. want to work on
lighting circuit, so turn off lighting circuit breaker, assume lighting
circuit is dead until someone turns on light/fan and sends power back
through lighting circuit's neutral.

Re: Ceiling fan + light control over a single pair?

`> I don't quite get what you've done, but if you've grabbed a neutral from
i have 1 light circuit (with all light cabling in the roof space)
i have th epower cabling under the house.

in reality all that i have done is commondeared<sp> the 2nd of the pair
running to a light socket and reused it as the switched active from the
fan control aka a 2nd active, by unbundling it from the nutrals at the
light switch and connecting this wire to the fan controller output and
then taking what was the light socket nutral and connecting it to the
fan. i then reintroduced a nutral to the light and fan by jumpering to a
near by (also light) nutral. cheating but still safe

Re: Ceiling fan + light control over a single pair?

You can also get an electronic device which allows two switches on
single wire.Requires electronic box in ceiling near fan (Expensive)

Re: Ceiling fan + light control over a single pair?

<snip>

AKA a switch multiplier.  (Clever concept, actually)  Got a couple
installed in my house by a sparky.
Work well, and yes, they are expensive.  They're in the Clipsal catalogue,
if you're looking.

Re: Ceiling fan + light control over a single pair?

 Thanks to all who replied. I'm taking the position that a switch-
controlled light fitting and a remote controlled fan will be the
appropriate approach. I wasn't aware that the remote control thing
is a seperate module that can be applied to most standard fan/light
combos, so now I'm spoilt for choice.

GB
--
.sig

Re: Ceiling fan + light control over a single pair?

Such an install woud be illegal anyway - i  doupt you will find any sparky
who would do any arrangment like that for you. Fans are meant to be on
seperate breakers to lights. If they are not it has been a dual use line,
very (if any) homes have these and if you did you would know about it from
the labelling on your power box

Re: Ceiling fan + light control over a single pair?

most fan and fire alarm installs are connected to the light circuits
atleast in most places ive seen (in qld that is)
,
regular off the shelf $90 wooden blade fans only consume .5 amps max
anyway and with 3 position switches being simple capacitors /triacs
there isnt a great load on the circuit. the low voltage halogen room
install will use similar power amounts as a single fan.

the only other way of installing one without re-running your mains is to
use x10 electonic switching units. these leave the power always active
and trigger the fan motor/light by activating a soft relay.

i much perfer the steel a conductor for the 2nd required active and link
to another neutral after the fan and light.

active to switch/fan ctrlr top to light bottom to fan then the returns
go to a donor neutral on the same circuit

(A)active) (S)switch   (F) fan (L) light (N) neutral

Re: Ceiling fan + light control over a single pair?

There is a clause in the wiring rules that allows a fan to be on a
lighting circuit as long as it's below a certain wattage. Check your
regulations book to be certain, I don't have my copy with me at the moment.

Dorf

Site Timeline