CDROM Power Supply

Hi,

I just found an old CDROM drive in my garage (Sony cdu5221) and would like to tinker with it but I don't have a computer power supply. Could anyone tell me whether these drives actually need both the 5V & 12V supplies? If they do, is there some easy way of getting the 2 reference voltages without using 2 supplies?

Cheers,

-Duncan

Reply to
Blog the Haggis

you could go to tip and fined one from a old pc or you goto dick smith or jaycar buy a 12volt wallwart at 1amp and build a regulator board with a 7812 and a 7805

3 turminal type and some filter caps or you can buy a 15volt 1amp transformer and go from there.

without

Reply to
crazy frog

Get an old power supply from an arcade machine or similar .. simple transformer with 12 and 5v taps, bit of filtering circuitry and your away :)

You could probably get an old AT p/s from a PC market/Fair/swapmeet for a lot less time and effort tho :)

Reply to
Lord-Data

i did this,

mounted a 5v and 12v regulator to a heatsink and veroboard

150uF cap (1 leg and ground) and 10pf cap (other leg and ground) per regulator (forget which legs tho) good for using cdroms in cars as cd players
Reply to
Matt2 - Amstereo

Where would you find an old arcade machine to harvest parts from?

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a go at making a regulator board.

It looks like it's not going to be as simple as using some resistors for a voltage divider :-)

-Duncan

Reply to
Blog the Haggis

Yes, that's sort of what I had in mind for it.

The drive drags 1.2A and 1.5A from the 5V and 12V supplies respectively, are there commonly available regulators that can handle that sort of current?

-Duncan

Reply to
Blog the Haggis

I used to have 10 :)

3 of which didn't work, very useful for parts :)

There are quite a few places around that trade in spareparts, etc

in perth is one i remember, but its been a few years since I used to work with them ..

I'm also sure tehre are many other similar logic based devices from that era that would also have similar power supply setups that would provide the same system..

Reply to
Lord-Data

How does that work when the input is 12V (engine not running) and you are trying to derive 12v from a simple 3 terminal reg?

James

Reply to
James

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 04:12:21 GMT, "Blog the Haggis" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I can give you an old AT PSU if you can defray my postage costs. Contact me via email if interested.

Otherwise you might consider salvaging the PSU out of an old DVD player. Many had +5V and +12V rails and were rated from 15W to 25W.

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

bigger heatsink,

Reply to
Matt2 - Amstereo

12.7 actually, the rom i was using was ok with slightly less V.
Reply to
Matt2 - Amstereo

Well, considering 3 terminal regulators are usually rated at 1A max, not sure if a bigger heatsink will give you 1.5A! But a very simple pass transistor will..... The old DSE catalog use to have the layout for a simple 3 terminal voltage regulator + pass tranny.. Search the internet, lots of circuits. Remember though that standard regulators need 3 volts more on the input than what you need out, so for 12v you would need 15v in min, unless you use a low volt reg. which needs about 1.2V...

Reply to
Martin