CDROM Power Supply

I just found an old CDROM drive in my garage (Sony cdu5221) and would like
to tinker with it but I don't have a computer power supply. Could anyone
tell me whether these drives actually need both the 5V & 12V supplies? If
they do, is there some easy way of getting the 2 reference voltages without
using 2 supplies?

Cheers,

     -Duncan

Re: CDROM Power Supply

you could go to tip and fined one from
a old pc or you goto dick smith or jaycar
buy a 12volt wallwart at 1amp and build a
regulator board with a 7812 and a 7805
3 turminal type and some filter caps
or you can buy a 15volt 1amp transformer
and go from there.

without

Re: CDROM Power Supply

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a go at making a regulator board.

It looks like it's not going to be as simple as using some resistors for a
voltage divider :-)

    -Duncan

Re: CDROM Power Supply

Get an old power supply from an arcade machine or similar .. simple
transformer with 12 and 5v taps, bit of filtering circuitry and your away :)

You could probably get an old AT p/s from a PC market/Fair/swapmeet for a
lot less time and effort tho :)

Re: CDROM Power Supply

Where would you find an old arcade machine to harvest parts from?

Re: CDROM Power Supply

I used to have 10 :)
3 of which didn't work, very useful for parts :)

There are quite a few places around that trade in spareparts, etc

www.filtek.com.au in perth is one i remember, but its been a few years since
I used to work with them ..

I'm also sure tehre are many other similar logic based devices from that era
that would also have similar power supply setups that would provide the same
system..

Re: CDROM Power Supply

i did this,

mounted a 5v and 12v regulator to a heatsink and veroboard
150uF cap (1 leg and ground) and 10pf cap (other leg and ground)
per regulator (forget which legs tho)  good for using cdroms in cars as
cd players

Re: CDROM Power Supply

Yes, that's sort of what I had in mind for it.

The drive drags 1.2A and 1.5A from the 5V and 12V supplies respectively, are
there commonly available regulators that can handle that sort of current?

    -Duncan

Re: CDROM Power Supply

bigger heatsink,

Re: CDROM Power Supply

Well, considering 3 terminal regulators are usually rated at 1A max, not
sure if a bigger heatsink will give you 1.5A!  But a very simple pass
transistor will.....  The old DSE catalog use to have the layout for a
simple 3 terminal voltage regulator + pass tranny..  Search the internet,
lots of circuits.  Remember though that standard regulators need 3 volts
more on the input than what you need out, so for 12v you would need 15v in
min, unless you use a low volt reg. which needs about 1.2V...

Re: CDROM Power Supply

How does that work when the input is 12V (engine not running) and you are
trying to derive 12v from a simple 3 terminal reg?

James

Re: CDROM Power Supply

12.7 actually, the rom i was using was ok with slightly less V.

Re: CDROM Power Supply

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 04:12:21 GMT, "Blog the Haggis"

I can give you an old AT PSU if you can defray my postage costs.
Contact me via email if interested.

Otherwise you might consider salvaging the PSU out of an old DVD
player. Many had +5V and +12V rails and were rated from 15W to 25W.

-- Franc Zabkar