CDMA Network in Australia - 3G - Page 2

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Considering your comments it makes one wonder why they are proceeding with
this approach?.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Because they know more than myself, no doubt.
Or maybe it is others money they are spending and they get paid whatever
happens

: Considering your comments it makes one wonder why they are proceeding
with
: this approach?.
:
:
: > The advantage of  CDMA is that there can be a soft handoff  in
progress
: > to three sites simultaneously, giving improved performance compared
: > using GSM in difficult high density areas.
: > the disadvantage is that 3x the resources are required. and three
: > basestations are tied up servicing one user.
: >
: > another problem with the new 3g CDMA system that tel$tra is planning
: > build is that the users will have to share the bandwidth with all
the
: > other users on the backbone to the base station. how can 50 users @
: > 14.4Mb/s each (theory) fit onto a limited capacity link that at the
: > moment is only 2Mb/s and may even be upgraded to a massive 8Mb/s in
the
: > future. total redesign and massive expenditure here.
: >
: > with the increase of basestations required to be in high density
metro
: > areas, the co-channel interference will be higher causing TX powers
: > ramp up and causing further interference, eventually causing a total
: > collapse of the network in peak usage conditions.
: >
: > there will be resistance by the community to the increased qty of
: > basestations all contributing to the electrosmog. the "not in my
: > backyard" ers will grow in number causing higher cost or failure of
the
: > rollout.
: >
: > the bottom line is that most users who need only basic voice and
slow
: > data will be forced onto the new system just because tel$tra needs
more
: > revenue and desires to keep its existing market share, wether users
want
: > to pay for new handsets and expensive content or not.
: >
: > my prediction will be that this scheme will go the same way as WAP
which
: > ended up as CRAP even after all the HYPE
: >
: > It will even contribute to the collapse of this current federal
: > government after shareholders and users alike, clamour for a
scapegoat.
: >
: >
: >
: > :
: > : > Does anyone know how much longer the GSM service will be
available?
: > : >
: > : > I have just built a Silicon Chip SMS controller, and might like
: > : > build more.
: > : > The phone used is a Nokia 5110 which is GSM.
: > : >
: > : > Thanks,
: > : > Russell.
: > : >
: > : ----------------------
: > :
: > : The way I have heard it is that GSM towers will stay around for
: > another 5-10
: > : years as there is no requirement for their bandwidth, then
: > considerations
: > : will be made. I think the GSM handpeice sales is supposed to be
phased
: > out
: > : when 3G has been placed on every tower.
: > :
: > : If as Julien was saying, the reception is incredibly poor then
there
: > will be
: > : rather a lot of unhappy campers in this area as GSM has close
enough
: > to SFA
: > : coverage here.  I remember reading something years ago in one of
the
: > papers
: > : about 3 (Hutchinson) having problems finding more sites in Sydney
for
: > their
: > : base stations due to reception problems. So if they have that much
: > trouble
: > : in a basin such as Sydney then we truly are screwed.
: > :
: > :
: >
:
:

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Agreed

Its Telstra's money

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Only in your pathetic little pig ignorant fantasyland.

Telstra wont even be govt owned by the time there is any visible problem
and the most that will do is see those stupid enough to go with 3G end
up with some real downsides with their mobile service. Stiff shit for them.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

There is not an increased need for base stations, per se.

And those communities that dont want one, dont get one. And they also dont
get the coverage

Same tired crap argument AMPS customers used.

You can still just use voice and slow data, if thats all you want

Most users buy new handsets within 2 yrs anyway

Its a bit broader than WAP

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Obviously when they are forced to. Too bad for those who just need a phone
for emergencies eh? Not enough money to be made from them unless you force
them to buy a new phone every few years I guess.

MrT.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

I wouldn;t worry about it. If it is like every other project Telstra has
implemented, it will be a total fuck-up, run late, farmers complain to
Minister, they have en extension before shutting off CDMA, give some
transition plans and by about 2015 CDMA will be gone.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

CDMA aint going till approx Mar 2008. That gives you plenty of time to get
your act together

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

:
: >
: > > Most users buy new handsets within 2 yrs anyway
: >
: > Obviously when they are forced to. Too bad for those who just need a
phone
: > for emergencies eh? Not enough money to be made from them unless you
force
: > them to buy a new phone every few years I guess.
:
: CDMA aint going till approx Mar 2008. That gives you plenty of time to
get
: your act together
: >
it won't be going at all, as the proposed replacement system isn't going
to happen (in time)

by then mick, you won't be around, dickwad.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Why not, chuckles?

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

CDMA2000 can be implemented as 3G UMTS, but in Australia the CDMA network is
primarily the old IS95 based system, at best you say it is 2.5G but with
lower bandwidth and slow up/down link speeds.  The new Telstra platform is
not compatible with CDMA.

You won't be there for long.  Telstra slammed the door on commenting further
on how the changeover will be managed for customers after they stated on the
Nine Network Sunday program (a month or so ago ??) that they would be
charging customers for new handsets as the old network will not be
supported.  The Govt, primarily through the Nationals, have warned Telstra
that they had better manage this carefully or they run the risk of Govt
intervention to protect rural customers interests. Telstra is still selling
CDMA handsets as they have not announced their new handset models.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

----------------
I would have thought the newer nokia N70/N80 and RAZR3 or whatever its model
is would be part of their new collection of handsets. Sounds to me like its
going to be one big F$CKUP as usual just to keep in with the Jones' who only
cover a portion of the country but happy covering a greater majority of
subsribers.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Here is a Copy of a email I received from Telstra about GSM and G3..

Dear Allan,

Thank you for your email dated 5/6/06, regarding the 3G network.

Allan, the current 3G network is only available in capital cities, such as
Sydney,
Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Perth and Canberra. However, this
3G network
currently runs on the 2100 MHz bandwidth whereas the new 3G network, that
will be replacing
the CDMA network, will run on the same 850MHz bandwidth as the current CDMA
network.

3GSM on the 850 Mhz band is actually a very similar technology to CDMA
giving us
like-for-like coverage without the need for additional base stations.
The existing CDMA  network and the Telstra and BigPond wireless broadband
services will
remain in place until the services and coverage on the 3G network are the
same or better.

The full extent of coverage will be available when the rollout is
completed and base stations upgraded with additional software in the second
half of 2007.

Current 3G (2100Mhz band) customers will continue to have access to the
existing 3G service and expansion of the service in this band with their
current handset.
However, if these customers want the full national benefits of the new 3G
coverage they
will need an 850 handset, or multi-band phones, that are expected to be
available in the
near future.

Yours sincerely,
Belinda Moyle
Mobile Online

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Hi Allan,

Thanks for that...  Looks like all I can do at this stage is wait and deal
with the problem at the last miniute.

Regards,

AJ

Site Timeline