CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Hi,

Telstra will soon be shutting down the CDMA network here in Australia and people will have to switch back to GPRS or step up to 3G. I was wondering if anyone knew of or has had experience with any decent 3G modules around at the moment? I have done the usual searches in google but haven't been able to come up with much so any links would be appreciated I have worked on a few projects in the past that use CDMA modules and we would like to use 3G rather than GPRS when the time comes.......... What a hassle.

Regards

AJ

Reply to
AJ

Not really an answer (well definitely not an answer) but anyone also got any idea what the voice quality is like on G3. GSM is crap quality and if G3 is just as bad then I'll just forego the mobile rather than use it (I'm on CDMA at the moment).

Alan

-- Sell your surplus electronic components at

Search or browse for that IC, capacitor, crystal or other component you need.

Reply to
Alan

--------------

Not so much the audio quality, but coverage is the problem I have found with GSM in this area. If 3G cannot match the coverage of CDMA which is still not that of the old AMPS then I dought we will be upgrading. As it is I am looking at getting some crystals for the old Scout HFs I have to replace the phones if required. That sounds bad, we've gone from wired, to radio to mobiles and some are being forced back to radios again.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

You wont have any choice when CDMA shuts down

As it is I am

Sounds like a good idea. Everyone will be able to listen in on all your calls, crap voice quality, continual tuning of the aerial. . . . .

That sounds bad, we've gone from wired, to radio to

Reply to
two bob

----------- Actually if some newer hardware is placed with the older, people won't find it so easy to listen. As for won't have a choice, yes I do, we'll just stop using mobiles. We have the technology to use secure radio signals which in this area have a much better coverage than phones. We rarely use the phone now. However if 3g can compare as I said, then we will upgrade. GSM around here is not worth having.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

Evidently Telstra will bring out a new, CDMA compatible 3G network, CDMA-2000, which will have much better coverage than the current UMTS network they are sharing with 3. The real problem with going to the current 3G is that you roam onto GSM, and coverage is much much poorer than CDMA. Many towns do not have GSM base stations.

3 are closing the Orange CDMA network, and are trying to push people onto 3G. My Mum got one recently and the coverage here (northern Sydney) is very poor. Most of the time it roams onto Telstra GSM, which has weak signals too. In fact, the reason I put her onto Orange was the poor signals on GSM, and now she is back there... Thanks 3.

And it costs more; $10 over $5 minimum a month. Then they also lock her into a contract on that crap, unlike the long expired one on Orange.

I'm going back to T CDMA. (Orange currently roams to Telstra CDMA out of Sydney & Melbourne).

Julian.

Tsunami Australia wrote:

Reply to
Julian Sortland, VK2YJS

Probably better off with Optus re-sold T-CDMA with a $5 min/month if a low-usage customer.

Reply to
budgie

While not doubting your technical expertise in these matters, when I was listening to a radio interview with one of the senior Telstra managers it was clearly stated that the new system was not compatible with the current CDMA system - that is, new handsets would be required when the current CDMA system was closed down.

Also, I note that Telstra ads for CDMA phones clearly state that this phone will not be usable after 2008

So, perhaps you have more up to date information? or...

David

"Julian Sortland, VK2YJS" wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

Does anyone know how much longer the GSM service will be available?

I have just built a Silicon Chip SMS controller, and might like to build more. The phone used is a Nokia 5110 which is GSM.

Thanks, Russell.

Reply to
rg26ce1991

I believe there are shutting it down in 2008.

Reply to
AJ

----------------------

The way I have heard it is that GSM towers will stay around for another 5-10 years as there is no requirement for their bandwidth, then considerations will be made. I think the GSM handpeice sales is supposed to be phased out when 3G has been placed on every tower.

If as Julien was saying, the reception is incredibly poor then there will be rather a lot of unhappy campers in this area as GSM has close enough to SFA coverage here. I remember reading something years ago in one of the papers about 3 (Hutchinson) having problems finding more sites in Sydney for their base stations due to reception problems. So if they have that much trouble in a basin such as Sydney then we truly are screwed.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

CDMA2000 can be implemented as 3G UMTS, but in Australia the CDMA network is primarily the old IS95 based system, at best you say it is 2.5G but with lower bandwidth and slow up/down link speeds. The new Telstra platform is not compatible with CDMA.

You won't be there for long. Telstra slammed the door on commenting further on how the changeover will be managed for customers after they stated on the Nine Network Sunday program (a month or so ago ??) that they would be charging customers for new handsets as the old network will not be supported. The Govt, primarily through the Nationals, have warned Telstra that they had better manage this carefully or they run the risk of Govt intervention to protect rural customers interests. Telstra is still selling CDMA handsets as they have not announced their new handset models.

Reply to
Dave

The advantage of CDMA is that there can be a soft handoff in progress to three sites simultaneously, giving improved performance compared to using GSM in difficult high density areas. the disadvantage is that 3x the resources are required. and three basestations are tied up servicing one user.

another problem with the new 3g CDMA system that tel$tra is planning to build is that the users will have to share the bandwidth with all the other users on the backbone to the base station. how can 50 users @

14.4Mb/s each (theory) fit onto a limited capacity link that at the moment is only 2Mb/s and may even be upgraded to a massive 8Mb/s in the future. total redesign and massive expenditure here.

with the increase of basestations required to be in high density metro areas, the co-channel interference will be higher causing TX powers to ramp up and causing further interference, eventually causing a total collapse of the network in peak usage conditions.

there will be resistance by the community to the increased qty of basestations all contributing to the electrosmog. the "not in my backyard" ers will grow in number causing higher cost or failure of the rollout.

the bottom line is that most users who need only basic voice and slow data will be forced onto the new system just because tel$tra needs more revenue and desires to keep its existing market share, wether users want to pay for new handsets and expensive content or not.

my prediction will be that this scheme will go the same way as WAP which ended up as CRAP even after all the HYPE

It will even contribute to the collapse of this current federal government after shareholders and users alike, clamour for a scapegoat.

[...]

E d

--------------------- Ok, the question then would be what is going to be made available in the interum for the alledged high speed data services. And also how can they expect this system to work to its full potential as the current CDMA system does in the farming/remote/non metro areas?? Sounds like a typical government/telstra FU here, I seem to remember them saying GSM would within a few years have the coverage analogue did but this never happened.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

---------------- I would have thought the newer nokia N70/N80 and RAZR3 or whatever its model is would be part of their new collection of handsets. Sounds to me like its going to be one big F$CKUP as usual just to keep in with the Jones' who only cover a portion of the country but happy covering a greater majority of subsribers.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

Considering your comments it makes one wonder why they are proceeding with this approach?.

Reply to
Intel Inside

Only in your pathetic little pig ignorant fantasyland.

Telstra wont even be govt owned by the time there is any visible problem and the most that will do is see those stupid enough to go with 3G end up with some real downsides with their mobile service. Stiff shit for them.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That was just telstra waffle. It remains to be seen what will happen there.

I doubt it myself.

Nothing to do with the govt, everything to do with yet another telstra stupidity.

analogue

Yep, and it was never going to given the digital cliff that GSM has.

It was always pure pig ignorant bullshit.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Because they know more than myself, no doubt. Or maybe it is others money they are spending and they get paid whatever happens

[...]

: >

[...]

: :

Reply to
E d

[...]

only time will prove, that in the end, this scheme actually worked. I say it won't, and if your benchmark is: the same coverage as AMPS as well as high speed data. then we already know the answer?

Reply to
E d