CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Telstra will soon be shutting down the CDMA network here in Australia and
people will have to switch back to GPRS or step up to 3G. I was  wondering
if anyone knew of or has had experience with any decent 3G modules around at
the moment?  I have done the usual searches in google but haven't been able
to come up with much so any links would be appreciated  I have worked on a
few projects in the past that use CDMA modules and we would like to use 3G
rather than GPRS when the time comes.......... What a hassle.

Regards

AJ

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Not really an answer (well definitely not an answer) but anyone also
got any idea what the voice quality is like on G3.  GSM is crap
quality and if G3 is just as bad then I'll just forego the mobile
rather than use it (I'm on CDMA at the moment).

Alan

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com

--------------

Not so much the audio quality, but coverage is the problem I have found with
GSM in this area. If 3G cannot match the coverage of CDMA which is still not
that of the old AMPS then I dought we will be upgrading. As it is I am
looking at getting some crystals for the old Scout HFs I have to replace the
phones if required. That sounds bad, we've gone from wired, to radio to
mobiles and some are being forced back to radios again.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

You wont have any choice when CDMA shuts down

 As it is I am

Sounds like a good idea. Everyone will be able to listen in on all your
calls, crap voice quality, continual tuning of the aerial. . . . .

 That sounds bad, we've gone from wired, to radio to

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

-----------
Actually if some newer hardware is placed with the older, people won't find
it so easy to listen. As for won't have a choice, yes I do, we'll just stop
using mobiles. We have the technology to use secure radio signals which in
this area have a much better coverage than phones. We rarely use the phone
now. However if 3g can compare as I said, then we will upgrade. GSM around
here is not worth having.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Evidently Telstra will bring out a new, CDMA compatible 3G network,
CDMA-2000, which will have much better coverage than the current UMTS
network they are sharing with 3.  The real problem with going to the
current 3G is that you roam onto GSM, and coverage is much much poorer
than CDMA.  Many towns do not have GSM base stations.

3 are closing the Orange CDMA network, and are trying to push people
onto 3G.  My Mum got one recently and the coverage here (northern
Sydney) is very poor.  Most of the time it roams onto Telstra GSM,
which has weak signals too.  In fact, the reason I put her onto Orange
was the poor signals on GSM, and now she is back there...  Thanks 3.

And it costs more; $10 over $5 minimum a month.  Then they also lock
her into a contract on that crap, unlike the long expired one on
Orange.

I'm going back to T CDMA.  (Orange currently roams to Telstra CDMA out
of Sydney & Melbourne).

Julian.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Probably better off with Optus re-sold T-CDMA with a $5 min/month if a low-usage
customer.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

While not doubting your technical expertise in these matters, when I was
listening to a radio interview with one of the senior Telstra managers it was
clearly stated that the new system was not compatible with the current CDMA
system - that is, new handsets would be required when the current CDMA system
was closed down.

Also, I note that Telstra ads for CDMA phones clearly state that this phone
will not be usable after 2008

So, perhaps you have more up to date information? or...

David

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Does anyone know how much longer the GSM service will be available?

I have just built a Silicon Chip SMS controller, and might like to
build more.
The phone used is a Nokia 5110 which is GSM.

Thanks,
Russell.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

I believe there are shutting it down in 2008.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

----------------------

The way I have heard it is that GSM towers will stay around for another 5-10
years as there is no requirement for their bandwidth, then considerations
will be made. I think the GSM handpeice sales is supposed to be phased out
when 3G has been placed on every tower.

If as Julien was saying, the reception is incredibly poor then there will be
rather a lot of unhappy campers in this area as GSM has close enough to SFA
coverage here.  I remember reading something years ago in one of the papers
about 3 (Hutchinson) having problems finding more sites in Sydney for their
base stations due to reception problems. So if they have that much trouble
in a basin such as Sydney then we truly are screwed.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

The advantage of  CDMA is that there can be a soft handoff  in progress
to three sites simultaneously, giving improved performance compared to
using GSM in difficult high density areas.
the disadvantage is that 3x the resources are required. and three
basestations are tied up servicing one user.

another problem with the new 3g CDMA system that tel$tra is planning to
build is that the users will have to share the bandwidth with all the
other users on the backbone to the base station. how can 50 users @
14.4Mb/s each (theory) fit onto a limited capacity link that at the
moment is only 2Mb/s and may even be upgraded to a massive 8Mb/s in the
future. total redesign and massive expenditure here.

with the increase of basestations required to be in high density metro
areas, the co-channel interference will be higher causing TX powers to
ramp up and causing further interference, eventually causing a total
collapse of the network in peak usage conditions.

there will be resistance by the community to the increased qty of
basestations all contributing to the electrosmog. the "not in my
backyard" ers will grow in number causing higher cost or failure of the
rollout.

the bottom line is that most users who need only basic voice and slow
data will be forced onto the new system just because tel$tra needs more
revenue and desires to keep its existing market share, wether users want
to pay for new handsets and expensive content or not.

my prediction will be that this scheme will go the same way as WAP which
ended up as CRAP even after all the HYPE

It will even contribute to the collapse of this current federal
government after shareholders and users alike, clamour for a scapegoat.

:
: > Does anyone know how much longer the GSM service will be available?
: >
: ----------------------
:
[...]

---------------------
Ok, the question then would be what is going to be made available in the
interum for the alledged high speed data services. And also how can they
expect this system to work to its full potential as the current CDMA system
does in the farming/remote/non metro areas?? Sounds like a typical
government/telstra FU here, I seem to remember them saying GSM would within
a few years have the coverage analogue did but this never happened.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

That was just telstra waffle. It remains to be seen what will happen there.

I doubt it myself.

Nothing to do with the govt, everything to do with yet another telstra stupidity.

analogue

Yep, and it was never going to given the digital cliff that GSM has.

It was always pure pig ignorant bullshit.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

there.

Telstra made no such claim

And so does Telstra.They have no plans to stop 2G GSM, at this stage

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Wrong, as always.

Wrong, as always.

[...]

: > :
: > : > Does anyone know how much longer the GSM service will be
available?
: > : >
: > : > I have just built a Silicon Chip SMS controller, and might like
: > : > build more.
: > : > The phone used is a Nokia 5110 which is GSM.
: > : >
: > : > Thanks,
: > : > Russell.
: > : >
: > : ----------------------
: > :
: ---------------------
: Ok, the question then would be what is going to be made available in
the
: interum for the alledged high speed data services. And also how can
they
: expect this system to work to its full potential as the current CDMA
system
: does in the farming/remote/non metro areas?? Sounds like a typical
: government/telstra FU here, I seem to remember them saying GSM would
within
: a few years have the coverage analogue did but this never happened.
:
:

only time will prove, that in the end, this scheme actually worked. I
say it won't, and if your benchmark is: the same coverage as AMPS as
well as high speed data. then we already know the answer?

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

system
within

No such claim was ever made

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Wrong, as always.

Re: CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

Pity about Mel Ward, Frank Blount etc who said just that.