Caution- On Topic: Anyone got any ideas for RFID for sports?

Anyone got any ideas for a reasonably cheap RF ID timing system for multisport races?

Reply to
Davo

what read-range do you need? how many readers?

passive tags can take upto 300ms to charge up before responding, active tags will likely blow your budget.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I imagine they would be attached to peoples ankles, jogging pace would be a reasonable speed, maybe they could walk over a target. Need about

100 of them. Probably two readers, start and finish, and results somehow into laptop.
Reply to
Davo

For counting people walking/running past a point, possible. For actual

*timing*, it almost certainly won't work. Tolerances in range, response time, peoples body position etc would make in impractical.

Exactly what are you trying to achieve?

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Timing people in mutisport events. Walking through timing points is ok.

Reply to
Davo

Tried this bloke:

They've got a neat system, all Aussie developed & manufactured.

Reply to
Nik Rim

I know Andrew well, having competed against him many times in the past. It's too expensive to hire his system, I'm in a country town and he's in the city, you essentially hire him to set up his equipment. I'm after a system that a small club could buy and set up. Technology has changed a lot since Andrew started developing his system, maybe I could use cattle RFID tags. (Just hold still mate while I poke this through your ear!)

Reply to
Davo

OK,

Have you seen the 900MHz RFID stuff.

Readers up to 4 watts power, read ranges in excess of a few metres

600tags a sec read speed Anti Collision

Adilam has the 900MHz readers and tags, but you will have to create your own system.

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

I like the look of that. I just sent them a message to see how I go about getting hold of a evaluation kit.

Reply to
Davo