Caution- On Topic: Anyone got any ideas for RFID for sports?

Anyone got any ideas for a reasonably cheap RF ID timing system for
multisport races?

Re: Caution- On Topic: Anyone got any ideas for RFID for sports?

what read-range do you need?
how many readers?

passive tags can take upto 300ms to charge up before responding,
active tags will likely blow your budget.

Re: Caution- On Topic: Anyone got any ideas for RFID for sports?

I imagine they would be attached to peoples ankles, jogging pace would
be a reasonable speed, maybe they could walk over a target. Need about
100 of them. Probably two readers, start and finish, and results somehow
into laptop.

Re: Caution- On Topic: Anyone got any ideas for RFID for sports?

For counting people walking/running past a point, possible. For actual
*timing*, it almost certainly won't work. Tolerances in range, response
time, peoples body position etc would make in impractical.

Exactly what are you trying to achieve?

Dave.

Re: Caution- On Topic: Anyone got any ideas for RFID for sports?

Timing people in mutisport events. Walking through timing points is ok.

Re: Caution- On Topic: Anyone got any ideas for RFID for sports?

Tried this bloke:

http://www.rfidtiming.com/contact.htm

They've got a neat system, all Aussie developed & manufactured.

Re: Caution- On Topic: Anyone got any ideas for RFID for sports?

I know Andrew well, having competed against him many times in the past.
It's too expensive to hire his system, I'm in a country town and he's in
the city, you essentially hire him to set up his equipment. I'm after a
system that a small club could buy and set up. Technology has changed a
lot since Andrew started developing his system, maybe I could use cattle
  RFID tags. (Just hold still mate while I poke this through your ear!)

Re: Caution- On Topic: Anyone got any ideas for RFID for sports?

OK,

Have you seen the 900MHz RFID stuff.

Readers up to 4 watts power,  read ranges in excess of a few metres
600tags a sec  read speed
Anti Collision

Adilam has the 900MHz readers and tags, but you will have to create your own
system.
http://www.adilam.com.au /

Joe

Re: Caution- On Topic: Anyone got any ideas for RFID for sports?

I like the look of that. I just sent them a message to see how I go
about getting hold of a evaluation kit.

Site Timeline