Cat5e and Audio

I'm about to wire my new house (we're at the frame stage) with lots of
Cat5e and droplines for extra wiring in the future. However it's
occurred to me that I'd like to wire for audio too.

1. Can I use the Cat5e for speaker-level-output?
2. Can I use the Cat5e for line-level-output, or does it need to be
shielded?
3. Can I use the Cat5e for line-level-input, or does it need to be shielded?
4. If I can use it for line-level, can I use the same cable (4 pairs)
for left-speaker, right-speaker, line-in and line-out?

Or am I better off running a pile of shielded cable around the place too
for any line-level work, and Fig-8 for speaker?

Cheers!
Rick Measham

Re: Cat5e and Audio

"Rick Measham"

** Yep.

   Cat 5 is for data -  didn't you know ?

...........  Phil

Re: Cat5e and Audio

**Only if:

* The runs are VERY short and the speakers high impedance.
* You use LOTS of CAT5 runs.
* You don't want decetn quality sound.

**It MUST be sheilded. Or you could use CAT5 baluns at each end.

**It MUST be sheilded. Or you could use CAT5 baluns at each end.

**No.

**Much better.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Cat5e and Audio

shielded?

Wires are out , wireless is in

Re: Cat5e and Audio

You try pushing data though wireless at 1Gb/s. If you can show me a way to
do this cheaply I'll gladly ditch my switch.

Unless you are talking about wireless transmission of audio, in that cased
i don't know what I'm on about and I'll just shut up now.

--

Wing.

Re: Cat5e and Audio

Interestingly, there is a new start-up in Sydney developing the latest
in wireless surround speakers and audio stuff. Yes, wireless is
probably the next big thing, but you can't beat having copper in your
walls.
It sure was a pain in the !@# to install my surround speakers!

Dave :)

Re: Cat5e and Audio

"David L. Jones"

** Some idiot posted:

**  Four legs good  -   two legs baaaaad  .....

**  Shame about all the damn AC power cables  -  isnt it  ?

  Shame most Aussie start ups are blatant criminal scams.

........   Phil

Re: Cat5e and Audio

Not really , there are Lithium battery based systems , however the best part
is total musical control in a house enviroment .

By that I mean you can have multiple players controlling different zones or
total syncronisation of music , its all programmable and flexible to suit
the enviroment , without getting it totally wrong in the installation side.

It also means that consultants are not really required and it puts the power
back into the hands of the consumer .

Re: Cat5e and Audio

This NG is not aus.i'm.a.total.fuckwit.&.know.nothing.about.audio

Re: Cat5e and Audio

Are you talking about the Philips Streamium system? Saw one in Harvey Norman
yesterday. The base station is about $1500, and the satellites about $500.
Nice idea.

Re: Cat5e and Audio

at low power levels

it's probably best used with balanced signal, if you use transformeres at
each end to balance it you'd probably get acceptble performance.

seems same as Q2 to me.

you'll definately need balanced lines for the audio with that setup.

running the speakers through transformers (ev 100V loudspeaker transformers)
could help with power but may increase crosstalk from speakers to
or may help... line level signals.

get a 100m case of cat5 and put your CD player and speakers on one and and
the amp on the other see what happens.

if you want to run speakers off cat5 the best way is probably to send the
sound information digitally and put the amp close to the speaker.

have you considered using cat-6?

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Cat5e and Audio

My God, what a weird direction this thread took. .. thank you all, I
guess. I think between all of your crud I learned a thing or two ..

Cheers!
Rick Measham

Re: Cat5e and Audio

Yeah, the usual animosities. Upshot is run shielded around the place. I
just did the same in my old villa - cat-5 for 'puters plus two audio to
the living areas, plus TV aerial and cable-TV to various locations. The
802.11 operates as well - I'm covered!  :-)

Cheers.

Ken

Re: Cat5e and Audio

Yes, forget Cat5 for audio stuff.
Definitely install proper heavy gauge speaker wire in the
"entertainment" room(s). Work out were your speakers are going now and
install the speaker wire for the entire system (fronts, rears etc). You
can get banana plug & RCA wall plates which are a good solution for
this. You should also run a shielded coax lead for the sub to where
ever it needs to go.

Where do you want to run all the other "audio" stuff to and for what
purpose?
A set of speaker wires out to the garage and/or back yard could come in
handy, you can then switch music out to those areas from your main
system.

Dave :)

Re: Cat5e and Audio

Or setup an AirPort system for wireless audio delivery  :)

Re: Cat5e and Audio

A bit pointless when you are building your own house and can install
all the copper you like!

Dave :)

Re: Cat5e and Audio

Whatever kind of cable you install, in a few years it will be out of fashion
and you'll want a new sort.  If you install conduits (with no sharp bends)
with draw wires then when you discover that you need some new-fangled Cat26
or some optical thing or whatever it is in 5 years, then you can install
it.  Just be aware that there may also be some rules regarding the minimum
spacing between mains cables and phone cables and possibly also between
other types of cables, and they may not be allowed to run in the same
conduit.  It might be worth looking up the rules on this so that you don't
run into problems later.

Chris

Site Timeline