Car running current?

Google failed me on this one, all the hits seem to be about current draw with the car not running. My 2006 Honda Jazz has the ignition light on, and I'm trying to determine what sort of trips I can safely engage in by using a battery charger at home and running with (possibly) no charge into the battery from the alternator.

Any idea how many amps order-of-magnitude in daytime use, minimal utilities? 1500cc 4 cyl V-tec engine.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

with the headlights wiper and aircon/heater/blower off about I've done 1 hour trips, with headlight on you have about 15 minutes.

this in a car with a mechanical engine fan, and eletric nothing. (electric ignition, brake light, and turn signals)

VTEC is going to add to the power consumption, unless you can unplug it,

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Since it's EFI the ECU will likely cut out before your battery is flat when it detects a low battery state. Not only that, with EFI you have a fuel pump, ECU and injectors running which will draw quite a few amps so that will limit your time. I think the Jazz also has a small capacity battery.

It's really a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but on a fully charged battery you might not even last 30 minutes.

Reply to
Clocky

Isn't VTEC hydraulicly actuated and anyway only kicks in above 'normal' driving revs?

--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
Reply to
~misfit~

Reply to
Wayne Chirnside

Too many variables, Bruce. Slap a DC tong on it and measure it.

Reply to
pedro

There's lots of modules sitting in the backgound: ABS, airbag, cruise control et cetera all adds up. I had an alternator fail on a Commodore and it ran for 90 minutes (daytime no lights on).

Reply to
bruce56

Most are only drawing minimal current unless operating, but yes, it does all add up.

I had an alternator fail on a Commodore and it ran

The Commodore also has a larger capacity battery.

Reply to
Clocky