car computors & jumper cables

Hi there
I was wondering just how using jumper cables to start a car with a flat
battery could possibly burn out the car computor
Is it an old wives tale??

The only thing I can think of is IF the battery has gone open circuit
thereby making the volt regulation of the alternator not work properly
This seems improbhable thou...

Re: car computors & jumper cables

Its very rare, and more myth than reality .. more-so applies to older cars
.. ie, first generation with computers .. The connection of power as it
comes through the jumper leads can make a spark as it connects, which can
cause a spike in the wiring .. computers being sensitive to spikes and all,
can sometimes be affected by this. Anything made in the 90's or better
should definitly be protected in its own wiring from such actions, however
.. But yeah, older ones can be a little susceptible.. but even then, its
rare.. kinda like lightnig strikes actually blowing up TVs ..

Re: car computors & jumper cables

I've had a tv fail during an electrical storm, (but not explode).

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: car computors & jumper cables

Yeah, it can happen, but not every time there is a storm, as most people who
pass on the myth (or sell surge protectors) will have you believe ..

Re: car computors & jumper cables

That's one possibility (called a load dump), another is an electrostatic
discharge.

--

Bye.
   Jasen