capacitor with one long leg and one short leg

"ok"

** With normal electro caps, the shorter lead is negative - there is a " - " sign on the body as well.

With bi-polar electros it does not matter at all.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I am trying to assemble a DIY 1 watt amp kit set. It comes with some capacitors that each one has one long leg and one short leg. Would somebody please tell me which leg is positive? Thank you in advance.

Reply to
ok

somebody

The long leg.

Reply to
Poxy

Assuming that they're electrolytics. (Shaped like a tin can, either two legs from one end, or a leg at each end.)

The long leg is the postive (+) lead. There will also usually be a very wide & visible black stripe running along one side of the capacitor which will indicate the positive lead, or will have a symbol "(-)" & an arrow ">" pointing towards the negative lead.

As someone has already mentioned, bipolar electros can be placed either way around, *but* make sure that they *are* bipolar cap's before soldering them in, because a normal (polarised) electro will go

*BANG!* if you put it in backwards & power it up! Bipolar electros will normally be clearly marked with the word "bipolar" on the label.
  \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Lionel

It is written on the body of cap. I assume you are talking about electrolitic ones. '-' is shown on the body. If cap is bi-polar, it does not matter how you insert it.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf