Can't hibernate PC after doing a clean install

Big thankyou to all those that helped regarding a clean install
of windows xp.  I have since done this with my original cd and
haven't used the one Microsoft sent me. I may use this later if
I have problems again.

OK I did the installation but now when I shut down I only get
three options  'stand by'  'shut down' and 'restart.'  I no longer
get the option of  'hibernate' when I hold the shift key down
prior to turning the computer off.

I installed SP2 as well just after the install so I am wondering
if this is solely an SP2 issue.

Can anyone help please?

Re: Can't hibernate PC after doing a clean install

Thats because you either didnt have ACPI enabled in the
bios before the install, or you havent installed all the drivers
for the hardware. Most likely the motherboard or video drivers.

Nope, nothing to do with SP2 at all.

Re: Can't hibernate PC after doing a clean install

Have you enabled hibernation in your control panel/power options.

Re: Can't hibernate PC after doing a clean install

Yes and yes to everyone else..... Have enabled this option
but when I go to confirm it it says "cannot reserve hibernate file"
"in use by another process"

Re: Can't hibernate PC after doing a clean install

Try turning the option off, reboot, delete c:\hiberfil.sys, then try
turning it on again. Also try disabling antivirus.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: Can't hibernate PC after doing a clean install

Forgot to say that you will need to turn on the display of hidden and
system files to do this.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: Can't hibernate PC after doing a clean install

Have you got 'Hibernate support' enabled (Control panel -> Power Options
-> Hibernate tab... at least that where it is in win2k

Tom

Re: Can't hibernate PC after doing a clean install

With 'classic' control panel setting

control panel---power options---hibernate tab----tick the 'enable
ibernation'