Can some one comment on why traffic lights use the silly sequence they do?

It seems, with Red light cameras and road safety supposedly being the primary concern, why the light sequence of traffic lights isnt made with a programmed sequence where if a light is going to change its starts flashing 5 seconds before it does change, then changes. All sequences would then be a lot easier to comply with. I believe it is used overseas but cannot find any info on it yet. Anyone have any clues on this?

Reply to
Jonno

Don't know about light sequences, but I love the "countdown" clocks used on pedestrian crossings overseas, very sensible idea, you know you've got N seconds left to dash across.

Everyone knows GREEN=Go, RED=Stop, YELLOW=Accelerate :->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Moscow, russia had a system where the green light came on a few seconds before the red light went off, so you could get ready to take off when the red went out. :) I think there was a similar system with the yellow light too, whereas the yellow light would come on before the green went out. Amazingly too, almost all light sets I saw were definitely LED, very thin housing, and they were pretty old too.

.

Regardless of the lights etc, most people tended to just ignore them anyway. and from what I saw, the police didnt seem to do anything about it too.

Reply to
kreed

How about this one? Link for Khobar, Saudi Arabia. Would seem to be the ultimate by your definition. Old bayside "lights" in Melbourne used a rotating disc with different colour segments. An hour handed rotated around pointing to different colour segments. The problem and eventual demise of these type of lights in Melbourne is that when it was "nearly red" drivers tend to speed up to beat them.

--
Regards

Kevin Martin
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Kevin Martin

How about this one? Link for Khobar, Saudi Arabia. Would seem to be the ultimate by your definition.

I suppose you would like the link? ;-)

Old bayside "lights" in Melbourne used a rotating disc with different colour segments. An hour handed rotated around pointing to different colour segments. The problem and eventual demise of these type of lights in Melbourne is that when it was "nearly red" drivers tend to speed up to beat them.

--
Regards

Kevin Martin
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Kevin Martin

What about the light sequence in the U.K. From green to amber to red then amber to green, at least you have time to get into gear while sitting at the lights and get away on the green. And if you only see the amber, well then, caution, something is about to happen.

Reply to
T.J. Dunster