Can anyone help me erase a few PIC uCs?

I believe three of my 16F628s have suffered from the following problem
documented on the Microchip website.

http://support2.microchip.com/KBSearch/KB_StdProb.aspx?ID=SQ6UJ9A003LD0

Re: Can anyone help me erase a few PIC uCs?

Buy a xtal

Re: Can anyone help me erase a few PIC uCs?

I'm assuming you're referring to changing the design to incorporate
one.  Well I have now....after going through three PICs!

Re: Can anyone help me erase a few PIC uCs?

I'm new to PICs and I haven't touched anything fancier than a central
locking kit since highschool so please excuse me if these are really silly
questions.

I haven't been able to find a good explaination of what an xtal is, it
seems to be mentioned in relation to radios and music, would I be right in
assuming its to do with using an external oscillator?

I was also thinking about disconnecting the Vdd pin from the programmer,
and hooking it to a switching transistor, this transistor would be
controlled by the Vpp pin (probably through a voltage divider) so Vdd only
goes high once Vpp has hit ~12v. Would this work? and if there is a chance
of it working, is it possible that it could damage my programmer? (I know
my Vpp line can only provide a very small amount of current but I dont
think switching a transistor should be a problem)

Thanks

-- Michael Heydon

Re: Can anyone help me erase a few PIC uCs?

Sort of. 'xtal' is the usual electronics industry abbreviation for
"quartz cystal".

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
 . | ,. w ,

it's a short way to write crystal, (and apparently common way to confuse
noobs),

you're correct.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Can anyone help me erase a few PIC uCs?

What part of the country are you in?

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
Re: Can anyone help me erase a few PIC uCs?

I'm in Melbourne