Calculating Power Usage Costs

Anyone know how to calculate power usage costs? I've got an 120W fan that I
want to run continuously. How do I use the 12.67c 'meter unit' price to
calculate running costs?

Muz

Re: Calculating Power Usage Costs
You could work out how much of a killowatt the 120 watts is  and use the
ratio to calculate the cost..

Re: Calculating Power Usage Costs
Hi,

I assume the price is 12.67c per kWh.
120W = 0.12kW. Every hour you use 0.12 x 12.67c = 1.52c, so per day would be
0.12 x 24 x 12.67c = 36.49c.

That's it.

Re: Calculating Power Usage Costs

Where do you get power that cheap ?

In the backwater of South Australia the going (summer) rate is 17.82c/kWh.

Re: Calculating Power Usage Costs

Really not sure what the price per kWh is. The figure quoted on my bill is
in 'meter reading units'. It seems like that must be a kWh though.

Muz.

Re: Calculating Power Usage Costs

Oops, forgot to mention. That's Perth in W.A., but it might be a pensioner
rate. I can't remember if I applied for cheap power or not.

Muz

Re: Calculating Power Usage Costs

Gosh! That was a lot simpler than I thought it was going to be. Thanks very
much Rob40. I'll have to make sure a 'meter unit' is a kWh first, but that
sounds like an affordable expense.

Re: Calculating Power Usage Costs
You're welcome. Not all things have to be difficult ;-)

Re: Calculating Power Usage Costs

In Sydney I pay 13.329c/kWh base + an extra 5c/kWh for 100% green wind
power. That's with Origin.

Dave.

Re: Calculating Power Usage Costs

Why the high South Australian price ?

Privatisation has been sooooo successful in respect of commercial
competition and pricing ! Pig's arse....

I use AGL but shopping around makes little difference.

There is a winter price of 16.52c/kWh.

Is anyone able to post prices for other locations, please ?

Re: Calculating Power Usage Costs

Prices for Energy Australia:

http://www.energy.com.au/internet/pdfs/Regulated_residential_tariffs_1_July_07.pdf

Re: Calculating Power Usage Costs

Its not so much privatization in SA but lack of coal based generating
capacity and a weak link from VIC which means a lot of SAs power is
now generated at Torrens Island which is gas fired.
Gas fired power is relatively expensive due to the price of the gas.
Its only supposed to be used as peaking power not base load power.

This is the SA spot price over a 24 hr period.
http://www.nemmco.com.au/data/GRAPH_30SA1.htm

Re: Calculating Power Usage Costs
Here in Canada we pay an average of $0.75 to $0.095 per kW/hr.  The exact
amount depends on the location and the consumption.  As the user consumes
more per month, he gets a bigger discount. The minimum or base price from
the power company is $55.00 per month. This means that if you use zero power
that month, you pay the minimum base.

--

JANA
_____