Bypassing an old laptop battery

Hi All,

I'm trying to get a really old laptop (Mac Powerbook 170) running again but
its main battery seems to have died. I could open up the old battery pack
and replace the cells but I was wondering if there was a simpler solution.

Does anyone know whether attaching a capacitor between the terminals instead
of a battery and using the AC adapter for power would work...?

...or would I just send it the rest of the way into Silicon Heaven?

Cheers,

     -Duncan

Re: Bypassing an old laptop battery

**Plug it into the mains. No need for extra capacitors.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Bypassing an old laptop battery

not without heavy duty AC electrolytic capacitors Trevor. :-)

How old is really old?

If you can't replace the cells, or the whole battery with an equivalent,
(even externally), then Silicon Heaven may be the correct answer.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Bypassing an old laptop battery

Old meaning one of the first Mac laptops ever built (1990-1991).

Unplugging the battery and running it directly from its AC adapter didn't do
anything, so I was wondering whether it needed the battery to complete the
power circuit.

To test this I thought connecting a capacitor (and perhaps a small resistor)
across the battery terminal would have similar characteristics to a flat
battery. Wouldn't the capacitor then come up to the correct voltage as the
laptop tries to charge it?

    -Duncan

Re: Bypassing an old laptop battery

On Wed, 16 May 2007 12:47:43 GMT, "Blog the Haggis"

It may already be there. The CMOS battery may well have ruptured or
corroded a goodly portion of the motherboard. It happened to me. Not
with a Macbook but a laptop of similar antiquity.

"I like to be organised. A place for everything. And everything all over the
place."

Re: Bypassing an old laptop battery

Visually the motherboard looks ok so I don't know if that's the problem....
The 3V CMOS battery is still putting out around 2.5V so I guess that is
within limits... (?)

    -Duncan

Site Timeline