bunnings $29 5 fin oil column heater

Just bought a bunnings $29 5 fin oil column heater

here are some power tests

LOW - 2 amps  power 500W
MED - 2.45 amps  power 600W
HI     - 4.45 amps  power 1080W
(according to my bunings $24 Arlec power meter)

Not a bad heater for a small room.  Doesnt start a fire, and at 1000w
costs about 10c/hr to run.

Re: bunnings $29 5 fin oil column heater

Where can you get electricity for 10c per kWh at times when you're
likely to want to run a heater?

A more powerful heater with a thermostat wouldn't cost any more to run
if you set it for the same temperature. It would also be more useful in
that it could be moved to a larger room when you wanted to heat that
room instead.

Sylvia.

Re: bunnings $29 5 fin oil column heater

**Indeed. A better, albeit considerably more expensive, option would be to
use a reverse cycle air conditioner. A few years ago, I was able to retire
my 2.4kW radiant heater for my workshop. I replaced it with a 620 Watt,
reverse cycle, inverter type air conditioner. The new system warms the
workshop more quickly, safely and with significantly less energy
consumption. The bonus is that the workshop can also be cooled in the
Summer.

The cheap option is not always the best option.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: bunnings $29 5 fin oil column heater

I'd be surprised if a reverse cycle airconditioner can cover its capital
cost by reducing energy used for heating in Australian conditions
(unless you live in Tassie, or Canberra perhaps). Of course, its cooling
ability is priceless in summer, so one can regard the heating energy
savings as a freebie.

Sylvia.

Re: bunnings $29 5 fin oil column heater

It would have to be a very small and well insulated room for it to run
at about 50% on/off time
Since electricity prices are approaching 20c per KWH, this is what you
would be needing to achieve to get to this 10c per hour level.
This duty cycle will get much worse as we get into winter and the
outside air temp gets colder.

Maybe you need to buy a KWH meter from Ebay etc and check for
yourself.

Re: bunnings $29 5 fin oil column heater

Lucky you, where do you get 10c per KW/hr electricity these days?

MrT.

Re: bunnings $29 5 fin oil column heater

Stated earlier

  50% duty  @20c/kw

Re: bunnings $29 5 fin oil column heater

yes correction, it costs about 20c/hr max to run depending how often
thermostat comes on.
I think for a small room may be cheaper than running an aircon
considering purchase cost.

Re: bunnings $29 5 fin oil column heater

But no reason given for a 50% duty cycle assumption with a 1kW heater.
Probably about right for a bathroom, but you'd need a timer for it to come
on an hour before you get up to be of any use whatsoever. And frankly one of
those IR heat lamp units is more suitable for that application IMO.

Then again, it may be all you ever need for the lounge room in Darwin or far
north Queensland :-)

MrT.

Re: bunnings $29 5 fin oil column heater

From my experience, heating isn't needed in these places :)

Re: bunnings $29 5 fin oil column heater

far

Yes, that's my point! :-)

MrT.

Site Timeline