Building bed wetting alarm

I am hoping to build a bed wetting alarm.  The tricky part is the actual
alarm (I'm a beginner).

I was going to buy the Liquid Level Sensor from JayCar
(http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KG9138 ), but wondered about
buying the components myself, so looked around for circuits.  I found
the following:

http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Alarm/walarm.htm

I'm guessing it'll do the trick.  What I would like though is that once
the alarm sounds, it continues untill it's shut off.  Also, as an alarm,
can I use any piezo in the above circuit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Building bed wetting alarm

Unless you want to do it purely for fun / learning, I recommend hiring a
commercial unit if you have the need for one , they are quite effective and
not costly.

There may even be a chance that use of an ineffective alarm unit could make
matters worse - the above is assuming you have a "real" application.  Google
"enuresis" alarm if  you haven't already.

If you DIY, power it from a couple of AA batteries and _not_ from a plug
pack.

regards

Re: Building bed wetting alarm

Level sensor? what is this for? A whale?

hint, go pee on an electric fence.

Re: Building bed wetting alarm

What about using a cheap smoke alarm and using the internal 9v battery to
power the whole thing?   They often have internal room to add other
electronics.

I once converted one into a light alarm - all it required was one transistor
and an LDR..

Re: Building bed wetting alarm

It would certainly wake him up if he wet the bed!!! And it would detect if
he smoked in bed as well - a very useful project.

Re: Building bed wetting alarm

Just get a standard 240v cable, cut whatever end is opposite the power
point and strip the wires back a bit. Staple them to a piece of
cardboard a little way apart. Plug it in and place the cardboard in the
middle of the bed. When you wet the bed, you'll learn about it fairly
quickly*

Most people will argue that cardboard is a bad idea as it isn't very
reusable. Once it gets wet, it loses it's stiffness. However you're
unlikely to need to use the above system for more than one bed-wetting.

Cheers!
Rick Measham

*Disclaimer for the stupid: Don't do this. It's just a joke.

Site Timeline