Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

Wonder why it's not readiily available in outback towns! You may need to get out more and see if you can walk. Miracles do happpen, you know that.

Reply to
Damian

buhbye

--

Reply to
atec77

Sure.

Reply to
Damian

With cable, that?s because they arent enough of a market to warrant cable, they get satellite PayTV instead.

ADSL2+ is available in most towns.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Wrong. I keep saying we should only be providing broadband where there isn't decent broadband already available to anyone who wants it.

That?s not going to cost anything like $50B.

Reply to
Rod Speed

So, how do we provide decent broadband to areas that currently can't get broadband services like, ADSL and cable?!

Reply to
Damian

I'm not too worried about cable, even I don't have cable in my neighbourhood. It ain't worth the trouble laying cables when ADSL is fast enough for most of the average people.

Near the towns, that may be true. Further away from the town outside ADSL availability circle they can only rely on satellite internet, right?!

Reply to
Damian

I already told you that more than once. The type of very specific wireless that the NBN is already rolling out, satellite and FTTP, particularly with new subdivisions.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It is true.

Wrong. They all have wireless available too.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Ok. You are in favour of FTTP on new subdivisions, that makes sense after all. AFAIK, current satellite internet ain't that decent in terms of current speeds they provide. Tell me I'm wrong??!!

Reply to
Damian

At what average speeds, according to your research?!

Reply to
Damian

Yes, you are wrong, particularly for the most remote communitys that don?t have fiber optic into the town at all.

Not that there are very many of those at all left now tho.

Its still the best way to do broadband for the largest rural propertys where its not feasible to do by fiber either.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Only one step down from the 4G seen in the larger towns now and that will be changing over time too as 4G moves out to everywhere on the Telstra system.

Reply to
Rod Speed

"Rod Speed" wrote in:

"reply to" set for aus.computers

Hello World. I read the statement in attribution "There is no jungle in this country" to then keyphrase search the owner. Ignore my post should you be sure you (poster) are right.

Where I live;

I assure you it is "jungle" - Mega Acres of it!

The section of your post that interests me. We are using an ADSL connection, where the exchange is I have no idea but I suspect Mt. Myrtle which is around four kilometres away, as the crow flies. During the wet season the connection is 85% out of service, I am told due to water intrusion of the cable pits. In more than 5 years "ADSL noise" is proven to be nonrepairable. The problems with installing fibre here would parallel those of the existing cable (I would think) but whatever we have been told it will happen by 20-------------------->?

Regardless, with empty nest and twilight years fast approaching we are selling and moving to a unit in Townsville we bought some years ago. We hope to be in by September should our dear tenants vacate the lease. There is why I post. Information we have so far is saying FTTN(?) will be connected to the unit in August coming. Our problem is we have no foreseeable need for the bandwidth plans being offered, and baulk at the costs which is more than we pay now, remembering that use is a waste as we believe we are subsidising others with our meagre 500 - 800MB per month, tops. So I ask if there is any plan known to the board which will provide that low a usage and reflect a low cost. I understand the telephone will be disconnected, with us to consider that also in that we have avoided "bundling" until now and now it seems we will have to bundle on current offers being made?

Please no more of this jungle denial platform[*]phobia. LOL

Reply to
JB

JB wrote: [...]

With such low usage, a *mobile* Internet connection will probably be the cheapest and fast enough.

Even with 'expensive' Telstra and even on pre-paid, that shouldn't set you back more than $20-$30 a month. Or you can take the easy/cheap(er) route: 12GB at $180 with a 1 year expiry time (i.e. average 1GB/month at average $15/month).

If you use a mobile broadband modem:

If you use a mobile phone as a data modem:

The data costs for the 'mobile-phone' products are somewhat lower than for the 'mobile-broadband' products, but the speeds are lower. I use 'mobile-phone' and 'mobile-broadband' in quotes, because you probably can use a 'mobile-phone' SIM in a 'mobile-broadband' modem and vice versa, at least that has been the case for the 'mobile-phone' SIMs I used.

FYI/FWIW, I use the mobile-phone products (700MB Browse Plus Pack for $20) when I'm in Oz (for 2-3 months at a time). One of my Aussie rellies uses the 12GB at $180 with a 1 year expiry time mobile-broadband product.

HTH.

Reply to
Frank Slootweg

JB wrote

reversed

Goodbye Worm.

I know he is right.

That's not live...

Wrong.

But wouldn't care about water.

Not possible to say given that Labor will be flushed where they belong.

Yes, dodo has one.

No, its still optional with most.

This is no laughing matter, and nothing to do with fear either.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Which company's offering those products?! Telstra, obviously. It's interesting they don't have prepaid mobile broadband packages with long expiry date and low data allowance!

Reply to
Damian

Dreaming!.....even if they lose, it won't be anywhere near a flush.

No fear, No favours, eh?!!

Reply to
Damian

I must be wrong then. These are few deals available now, whether it's NBN type or non NBN sat internet

Dunno whether i should trust them with 5-6Mbps speed they claim to provide though.

And also not sure the reason for Telstra sat deals are crap with speed and price wise.

No argument there. Vast majority of the central Australia won't be feasible to cover by fibre. Mobile+sat internet is the solution.

My problem is that, many outback towns/stations that I visit have shitty sat internet connection speeds. Dunno how to explain that, if the things are so promising as it's being implied.

Reply to
Damian

That sounds promising. I'm yet to trial a 4G phone and speeds they can provide.

Reply to
Damian