Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget - Page 2

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

Because it costs a lot more than $50B.

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

So, you obviously have a plan to do FTTP NBN for less than $50B, right?

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

Wrong. I keep saying we should only be providing broadband where
there isn't decent broadband already available to anyone who wants it.

That?s not going to cost anything like $50B.

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

So, how do we provide decent broadband to areas that currently can't get
broadband services like,
ADSL and cable?!

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

I already told you that more than once. The type of very specific
wireless that the NBN is already rolling out, satellite and FTTP,
particularly with new subdivisions.

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

Ok. You are in favour of FTTP on new subdivisions, that makes sense after
all.
AFAIK, current satellite internet ain't that decent in terms of current
speeds they provide.
Tell me I'm wrong??!!

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

Yes, you are wrong, particularly for the most remote
communitys that don?t have fiber optic into the town at all.

Not that there are very many of those at all left now tho.

Its still the best way to do broadband for the largest
rural propertys where its not feasible to do by fiber either.

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

I must be wrong then.
These are few deals available now, whether it's NBN type or non NBN sat
internet
http://www.telstra.com.au/internet/satellite/
http://www.skymesh.net.au/services/nbn/satellite/
http://www.skymesh.net.au/services/nbn/satellite/srss.php

Dunno whether i should trust them with 5-6Mbps speed they claim to provide
though.

And also not sure the reason for Telstra sat deals are crap with speed and
price wise.

No argument there. Vast majority of the central Australia won't be feasible
to cover by fibre.
Mobile+sat internet is the solution.

My problem is that, many outback towns/stations that I visit have shitty sat
internet connection speeds.
Dunno how to explain that, if the things are so promising as it's being
implied.

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

That?s bullshit, there are in fact plenty.

Because they got lumbered with that and don?t care about it.

There's no one there anyway.

Because no one is prepared to pay for anything better.

The schools do have decent net speeds.

No one is prepared to pay for it for blow ins like you to use.

Most of the blow ins are only prepared to pay for a wireless broadband
service.

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

That's exactly what I meant. Are you pissed again?!
I warned you about mixing crack with booze. :-)

I was there, plenty other trekkers and resort owners.
Not to mention aborigenes.
They need broadband more than anyone else there.

The resort owners can't afford decent internet?! They have no problem
charging scary prices  on shitty tent accommodation.
Prices comes out there rear end. Must be a tough business.

Didn't visit schools.
I wasn't there as a teacher.

Ok.
Would they pay for it for blow outs like you?!

And wireless broadband in outback towns are crappy?!

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

"reply to" set for aus.computers

Hello World.
I read the statement in attribution
"There is no jungle in this country"
to then keyphrase search the owner. Ignore my
post should you be sure you (poster) are right.

Where I live;
http://ozforecast.com.au/cgi-bin/weather.cgi?station=Mt+Myrtle.QLD
I assure you it is "jungle" -  Mega Acres of it!

The section of your post that interests me.
We are using an ADSL connection, where the exchange is I
have no idea but I suspect Mt. Myrtle which is around
four kilometres away, as the crow flies. During the wet
season the connection is 85% out of service, I am told
due to water intrusion of the cable pits.
In more than 5 years "ADSL noise" is proven to be nonrepairable.
The problems with installing fibre here would parallel those of the
existing cable (I would think) but whatever we have been told it will
happen by 20-------------------->?

Regardless, with empty nest and twilight years fast approaching we are
selling and moving to a unit in Townsville we bought some years ago.
We hope to be in by September should our dear tenants vacate the lease.
There is why I post.
Information we have so far is saying FTTN(?) will be connected to
the unit in August coming. Our problem is we have no foreseeable need
for the bandwidth plans being offered, and baulk at the costs which is more
than we pay now, remembering that use is a waste as we believe we are
subsidising others with our meagre 500 - 800MB per month, tops.
So I ask if there is any plan known to the board which will provide that
low a usage and reflect a low cost. I understand the telephone will be
disconnected, with us to consider that also in that we have avoided
"bundling" until now and now it seems we will have to bundle on
current offers being made?

Please no more of this jungle denial platform[*]phobia. LOL

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget
[...]

  With such low usage, a *mobile* Internet connection will probably be
the cheapest and fast enough.

  Even with 'expensive' Telstra and even on pre-paid, that shouldn't set
you back more than $20-$30 a month. Or you can take the easy/cheap(er)
route: 12GB at $180 with a 1 year expiry time (i.e. average 1GB/month at
average $15/month).

  If you use a mobile broadband modem:

<http://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mobile-broadband/prepaid/rates/index.htm

  If you use a mobile phone as a data modem:

<http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-rates/plus-packs

  The data costs for the 'mobile-phone' products are somewhat lower than
for the 'mobile-broadband' products, but the speeds are lower. I use
'mobile-phone' and 'mobile-broadband' in quotes, because you probably
can use a 'mobile-phone' SIM in a 'mobile-broadband' modem  and vice
versa, at least that has been the case for the 'mobile-phone' SIMs I
used.

  FYI/FWIW, I use the mobile-phone products (700MB Browse Plus Pack for
$20) when I'm in Oz (for 2-3 months at a time). One of my Aussie rellies
uses the 12GB at $180 with a 1 year expiry time mobile-broadband
product.

  HTH.

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

Which company's offering those products?! Telstra, obviously.
It's interesting they don't have prepaid mobile broadband packages with long
expiry date and low data allowance!

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

They do actually.

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

Ok. couldn't see it in above links though.
I'm talking about paying $10/$20 for 1Gig and having the expiry date for
around a year or so.

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

reversed

Goodbye Worm.

I know he is right.

That's not live...

Wrong.

But wouldn't care about water.

Not possible to say given that Labor will be flushed where they belong.

Yes, dodo has one.

No, its still optional with most.

This is no laughing matter, and nothing to do with fear either.

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

Dreaming!.....even if they lose, it won't be anywhere near a flush.

No fear, No favours, eh?!!

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

Your sig is sposed to be last, with a line with just -- on it in front of
it.

You watch. They'll be flushed as comprehensively as NSW and Qld Labor where.

That?s why the Dud was assassinated in the first place and why
Juliar was assassinated too and why almost all of the ministers
have decided to pull the plug on their political careers now.

Nope.

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget

Re: Building a Fibre NBN on a Copper budget
Wow ! Must be going for a record...
The longest newspost in history.
--
Best Regards: