Booby trapped HDCP digital HDTVs

Does anyone have any experiences of this type:

http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/Jan04/Jan0413.jpg

The author writes that the DVI (and presumably HDMI) inputs of some
digital TVs can be rendered inoperative if one operates the set with
its cover removed. Apparently an optical sensor triggers the erasure
of a critical EEPROM, presumably as an anti-piracy measure.

Should we treat all digital TVs as if they were booby trapped?

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Booby trapped HDCP digital HDTVs

Just wondering it it is really done to prevent DVI input module piracy,
or to stop un-authorized service personal working on the unit.

What a trap.

May just back-fire, and techs may well refuse to work on JVC equipment
in future, if this is their approach.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Booby trapped HDCP digital HDTVs

Forget the techs, just refuse to buy such crap in the first place, IF it's
true.
And surely the best fix would be to disable the optical sensor permanently,
rather than the "work arounds" given on the web site in any case.
(possibly some black paint, or wire cutters would do the job, why on earth
would you want to re-enable it anyway?)

I know some companies are morons, but it still sounds a bit far fetched to
me.
Possibly written back in April? :-)

MrT.

Re: Booby trapped HDCP digital HDTVs
to keyboard and composed:

If that's all JVC want to do, then they could use the optical
interlock to temporarily disable the HDMI/DVI input.

Some say that Pioneer is also doing this. BTW, the subject article was
written in Jan 2004, so the practice is not new.

This forum talks about JVC anti-tamper sensors:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-598154.html

"There is a mention in the WARNING sections of the Z and Q series
owners manuals on page7, section 12 which says:

This television has a DIGITAL-IN terminal. Opening up the rear of the
cabinet will violate the copyright of the program or software shown on
the television. Please do not open the rear cabinet."

- Franc Zabkar