Bob Pease

Word has just filtered through Twitter that Bob Pease was killed in a car accident. This one by the sounds of it:

In a sad twist, it is reported that he was returning from Jim Willam's memorial.

A sad week indeed.

RIP Bob Pease.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Bob sure loved his old V-Dubs. Not the safest car on the road, had he been belted into a late model car, he might have survived. Damn shame, I'll miss that grumpy old fart...

Reply to
hifi-tek

That's bad news. I haven't read any of his stuff for years but I used to enjoy & get a chuckle out of his columns. RIP Bob.

Reply to
Dennis

That would be ironic, if he died in a single-car accident, not wearing a seat belt. He "wrote the book" on safe driving.

John

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

source=rss&nclick_

So it seems:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Assuming it happened.. and if it was accidental.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yes. Almost sounds like suicide by car :-(

We had one of those here a little more than a year ago... a guy traveling 100+ for many miles suddenly crosses median to head-on a monster dump truck. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Or, more probably stroke or heart attack.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

Could well be. AFAIUI, his health was not the best.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

One of the reports mentioned his wife saying something about a heart attack. Losing a dear friend may have provoked a heart attack. I do know that Bob mentioned diabetes in a recent column. Diabetes can aggravate heart issues. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The accident report did not specify the condition of the road surface.

The VW Beatle with the engine behind, is really nasty to drive on wet or icy surfaces.

In bad weather conditions VW Beatle is like driving a hammer with the handle in front of you and the back is trying to overtake you :-)

Reply to
upsidedown

I've seen various modifiers, such as "driveway", which makes me suspect a health event. When you've driven a VW as long as Bob had (I drove a Renault Dauphine for about 8 years) you don't casually swap ends. Sounds like health "event", dead at wheel, miss turn, hit tree... nothing otherwise makes sense. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Well, it's Kalifornia so I doubt the weather would be what I would call bad, but point taken.

Yeah, I know-- one of my good friends perished in one of those things when we were in high school (it was just a used car back then, not an antique). Blizzard conditions.

And the gas tank is in front. 8-(

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I found the old VW Beattle to be pretty good in snow. They generally would go in snow until the height of the snow was such that it piled up in front of the bumper.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

So I see its sadly true, RIP Bob.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Not if you perform good threshold braking. You learn to keep your intervals in a Bug. And if you have discs in the front, they shut down pretty quickly.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

From behind the wheel of a VW? Hardly an example of a 'safe car'. The new ones are, however, more safe than most.

Reply to
Son of a Sea Cook

c...

The bay area weather over the weekend was balmy. No rain, let alone ice or snow.

I've driven that road to the Mountain Winery, but only for concerts, i.e. the traffic was very heavy so your speed was limited.

You can have Los Gatos, Saratoga, and the Santa Cruz mountains. The roads are very dangerous. But the Mountain Winery is a great place to hear a concert.

Reply to
miso

B E E T L E damnit! They are NOT musicians!

You guys should try words you do not know on a google search line, and watch the spell check pop into place.

But then... the world is full of gang boy idiots these days. Same type of folks that ran Princess Di into the pylon. Thick skulled playbabies.

Reply to
OutsideObserver

I met Bob once at a trade show in San Francisco. He was handing out photos of himself dressed up as the Bandgap Czar. Over the years we exchanged some emails, and of course not all were to do with electronics. He was interested in winter driving here in Canada. I recall he was astounded that we don't use tire chains or studs here in Ontario, and that it is illegal to do so.

He will be missed.

Greg Neff R&D and Manufacturing Engineering Manager Mara Technologies Inc.

Reply to
Greg Neff