Board to board interconnection

I am looking for a cost effective and simple solution to interconnect
two stacked PCBs.

The PCBs are placed on top of each other with a fixed gap of 21mm. The
gap cannot be reduced as it is a fixed parameter given by the enclosure.
Both PCB have component side face up.

The signal count is 2 x 20 signals TTL/CMOS logic level (address/data
bus, I/O ports, I2C and SPI)

Possible solutions coming to my mind are flat ribbon cable with IDC
connectors. But this is expensive as it would need to be custom made,
requires additional assembly steps and crimping is error prone.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Ricky

Re: Board to board interconnection

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:40:16 +1000, "H. M."

SAMTEC board to board stacking items are the way to go. You didn't
give many details such as pin spacing, thru-hole or smd, single or
double row etc. so I can only start you off.

For example the DW series male pin part
http://www.samtec.com/technical_specifications/overview.aspx?series=DW

will mate with the SSW female socket part
http://www.samtec.com/technical_specifications/overview.aspx?series=SSW

Re: Board to board interconnection

I second that Ross.  Maybe see what http://www.oupiin.com/ do as well.

Re: Board to board interconnection

Hi Rob and Ross,

Thank you for the helpful hint. The Samtec part looks like an excellent
solution and hopefully won't be too costly.

Ricky

Re: Board to board interconnection

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:40:16 +1000, "H. M."

Bit of a nasty suggestion this, but OK if you are only doing a one off
for yourself and can use single 0.1 or dual 0.1 spacing connectors --

Use one board mounted socket on each board facing each other (one on
top of the lower board, the other underneath the upperboard) and then
connect using a strip of pin headers.
________________
|_______________|
   |      |
   |      |
   |______|
     |  |
     |  |
   __|__|_
   |      |
   |      |
___|______|_______
|________________|

Sort of like that (LOL) not very good drawing I know!

Otherwise if you are doing a professional build then have a look at
the Samtec parts.  They make quite a few long headers for board
interconnects as well as through connection systems.

Alan

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com

Thanks Alan.

Qty will be 100 units, so it's worth while to put some thought into a
solution and the Samtek part mentioned points the right direction.

I will investigate availability and price.

Ricky

Re: Board to board interconnection

you will find a selection of male/female straight/RA 30/64 pin
connectors here that may suit:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/home.php?cat32%9

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: Board to board interconnection

As well as the Samtec parts, if you need odd spacings, you can always
use right angle pins onto a sub-board, and make that board any length
you like.

sub    |