Board to board interconnection

Hi,

I am looking for a cost effective and simple solution to interconnect two stacked PCBs.

The PCBs are placed on top of each other with a fixed gap of 21mm. The gap cannot be reduced as it is a fixed parameter given by the enclosure. Both PCB have component side face up.

The signal count is 2 x 20 signals TTL/CMOS logic level (address/data bus, I/O ports, I2C and SPI)

Possible solutions coming to my mind are flat ribbon cable with IDC connectors. But this is expensive as it would need to be custom made, requires additional assembly steps and crimping is error prone.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Ricky

Reply to
H. M.

SAMTEC board to board stacking items are the way to go. You didn't give many details such as pin spacing, thru-hole or smd, single or double row etc. so I can only start you off.

For example the DW series male pin part

will mate with the SSW female socket part

Ross Herbert

I second that Ross. Maybe see what

do as well.

Reply to
Rob

Bit of a nasty suggestion this, but OK if you are only doing a one off for yourself and can use single 0.1 or dual 0.1 spacing connectors --

Use one board mounted socket on each board facing each other (one on top of the lower board, the other underneath the upperboard) and then connect using a strip of pin headers. ________________ |_______________| | | | | |______| | | | | __|__|_ | | | | ___|______|_______ |________________|

Sort of like that (LOL) not very good drawing I know!

Otherwise if you are doing a professional build then have a look at the Samtec parts. They make quite a few long headers for board interconnects as well as through connection systems.

Alan

-- Sell your surplus electronic components at

Search or browse for that IC, capacitor, crystal or other component you need.

Reply to
Alan

Hi Rob and Ross,

Thank you for the helpful hint. The Samtec part looks like an excellent solution and hopefully won't be too costly.

Ricky

Reply to
H. M.

Thanks Alan.

Qty will be 100 units, so it's worth while to put some thought into a solution and the Samtek part mentioned points the right direction.

I will investigate availability and price.

Ricky

Reply to
H. M.

you will find a selection of male/female straight/RA 30/64 pin connectors here that may suit:

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

As well as the Samtec parts, if you need odd spacings, you can always use right angle pins onto a sub-board, and make that board any length you like.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Jansen