Bloody smoke alarms. - Page 2

Re: Bloody smoke alarms.

"keithr"

** You are 100% correct.

At my previous address, the installed smoke alarm was of the type that are
somewhat dangerous but have no replaceable battery. One day it went into
slow beep mode, 20 minute intervals.

A sparky came and replaced it and let me keep the old one.

Turned out a 470nF class X2 cap in the AC feed had gone open circuit.

So I fixed it and still have it in a cupboard, too cute to chuck out.

.... Phil

Re: Bloody smoke alarms.

. . .

Indeed. The old detector I replaced had a sliding but non-removable
plastic tray for the 9V battery. To replace the battery, this tray
slid out of the side of the detector. With the tray fully extended,
you might have been able to poke a bit of wire into the thing and
contact a live wire, if you really tried, but then you could do the
same with a GPO too.

However, I prefer the way the new one works. The main part of the
detector flaps down from the base and in the process an internal plug
is pulled out, totally disconnecting the mains. It is not so much that
I think this makes it safer to replace the battery, but that it gives
an easy way to turn the thing off if you ever need to do that.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Bloody smoke alarms.

Can ten kilos of weapons grade uranium even exist in the same post pack
for more than a microsecond :-)

Re: Bloody smoke alarms.

critical mass is a bit higher than that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_mass