Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water - Page 2

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

When the warm fluid rises, colder fluid has to descend, otherwise you'd
end up with cavities in the fluid, which isn't going to happen.

Sylvia.

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

A boost element is placed at the top to provide usable hot water as
quickly as possible, not to avoid a paradoxical cooling effect.
What is your view on the mechanism that brings about mixing of hot &
colder water?

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

A combination of different pressures resulting from the reduction in
density of heated water and RayleighTaylor instability. Where the
heating element is not an isothermal flat plate extending the width of
the tank, the latter is probably a minor effect.

Sylvia.

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

Why do you expect thermal convection to mix the cold and hot water?
What could cause the hot water to move down and mix with the cold water?

as the element heeat the cold water gets warm and rises it soon mixes
with the cold water above the element and produces a slower less
heated current, this continues, you won't ge whole tank circulation
currents until the whole tank is essentially at the same temperature.

the element will heat all thwe water above it, if you want to heat
some of the water to hot you need to mount it higher, else you'll spend
the same energy heating it all he water to warm.

⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

It's far from obvious that the mixing is that fast. Anyway, even the
mixed water is warmer than its surroundings, and will ascend. Eventually
it's at the same temperature as its surroundings, but it has an upward
velocity, so it will rise above its proper level, in the process
displacing some of the warmer water around it downwards. Throw in some
more mixing, and the next parcel of warmed water will climb higher,
causing yet more mixing. So even if the initial parcel of heated water
cannot reach the top, these processes will ensure that it will in due
course.

The tank may then indeed be essentially all at the same temperature, but
that temperature will be lower than the temperature of the water that
was initially at the top of the tank. Cut off the power then and you
have a tank full of lukewarm water rather than a tank containing hot
water at the top and cold water at the bottom.

Sylvia.

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

"Jordan"

 ** ROTFL   !!

A fool informs another fool  =  fact.

 Wot a hoot.

...  Phil

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

You don't think it's plausible?
Please elaborate, without the hysterics if that's possible.

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

"Jordan"

**  Syliva pretty much nailed it.

    Your turn..............

    LOL !

...   Phil

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

I contacted my provider:
customer_enquiry
With regard to off peak hot water: Does it get switched to heat the
water only during night time? Or, is it possible that at some times
through the day, water will also be heated? A plumber tells me this is
so. He says the system takes advantage of available periods of
sufficient power, even if that happens in normally peak times. Thanks

Answer:
You are currently on Off Peak 1 which heats between the hours of
approximately 11pm to 7am.
There is a option to change to Off Peak 2 which also heats between
approximately 11pm to 7am plus you receive a 5 Hour boost during the day.

Follow up question:
Can you please tell me if the Off Peak 2 system gets its 5 hour boost at
a regular time? Or, is there some method whereby the time varies,
according to availability of adequate power?

Answer:
The 5 hour boost is normally set at a fixed time during the day, but we
have the facility to vary this depending on the load of our system.

Regards
Jeff - Op1962
Customer Service Representative
Integral Energy
*********************

So, it depends what plan you're on. At least I'm sometimes right.

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

"Jordan"

**  5 hours is long enough to heat an entire tank from cold  -  not some "
brief period " or " top up" as you falsely alluded to. Plus it is not
"occasional".

Quote from you on the 24th:

 " ...  you'd miss on the occasional top up through the day (during brief
periods when demand is also low). "

Piss off, fool.

.....  Phil

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

I am indeed foolish to attempt sensible conversation with you.
You just lost one member of your audience, genius.

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

Last clock one I had was a mechanical one, and it stoped during power
outages. Luckily you could remove the face and re-adjust the time. You
could also trigger the hot water at any time you wanted to by rotating
the dial. I thought that they'd be insisting on the smart meters these
days, have three of these in the new place (one per phase).

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

Ausgrid fitted the timeswitch today.

At 11am it's letting the water heater run, which it shouldn't. So it's
been programmed wrongly. How hard can it be?

Sylvia.

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

I decided to do the right thing, and informed Energy Australia, via
their web contact page. I got a response today.

-------------
Thank you for your enquiry.

The information you have provided is not sufficient for us to process
your enquiry.

Please provide:

Your account number and/or address of property
Your full name
Date of birth
Home phone number
Mobile phone number:"

I did give them the address. Oh well, they've been informed. It's not my
problem anymore.

Sylvia.

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water
As long as you have hot water at op rates don't worry about their stupidity

Re: Bit OT: Off Peak Hot Water

Indeed.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline