Birko soldering iron age?

I recently 'fell heir' to a Birko soldering iron (80W), Birko Cat. no
'D1'. Anyone got any idea how old it is? Following replacement of the
cord and a bit of a cleanup it works really well.

I queried Birko, but they say 'all records have been lost'.

John Mackesy

Re: Birko soldering iron age?

"John Mackesy"  wrote

I recently 'fell heir' to a Birko soldering iron (80W), Birko Cat. no
'D1'. Anyone got any idea how old it is? Following replacement of the
cord and a bit of a cleanup it works really well.

I queried Birko, but they say 'all records have been lost'.

John Mackesy

***Electric Birkos were first made in 1920s,I think the D1 is a 1940s type.

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: Birko soldering iron age?

If it has a bakelite handle it will probably date from 1950 - 60's. I
still have minee in working condition. Just gets difficult to find
1/2" copper rod (cheap) for making bits.

Re: Birko soldering iron age?

Well, it has a wooden handle. Does that make it pre-50s?

John Mackesy

Re: Birko soldering iron age?

I don't know exactly when they changed from wood to bakelite but I got
mine in 1958 so it could have been mid 1950's when they changed.

One here on Ebay to see as example (watch out for url wrap)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/vintage-BIRKO-electric-soldering-iron_W0QQitemZ6268428341QQcategoryZ39728QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Re: Birko soldering iron age?

If your hotrod works, who cares how old it is

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/vintage-BIRKO-electric-soldering-iron_W0QQitemZ6268428341QQcategoryZ39728QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Site Timeline