Birko soldering iron age?

I recently 'fell heir' to a Birko soldering iron (80W), Birko Cat. no 'D1'. Anyone got any idea how old it is? Following replacement of the cord and a bit of a cleanup it works really well.

I queried Birko, but they say 'all records have been lost'.

John Mackesy

Reply to
John Mackesy

"John Mackesy" wrote

I recently 'fell heir' to a Birko soldering iron (80W), Birko Cat. no 'D1'. Anyone got any idea how old it is? Following replacement of the cord and a bit of a cleanup it works really well.

I queried Birko, but they say 'all records have been lost'.

John Mackesy

***Electric Birkos were first made in 1920s,I think the D1 is a 1940s type.

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith.

If it has a bakelite handle it will probably date from 1950 - 60's. I still have minee in working condition. Just gets difficult to find

1/2" copper rod (cheap) for making bits.
Reply to
Ross Herbert

Well, it has a wooden handle. Does that make it pre-50s?

John Mackesy

Reply to
John Mackesy

I don't know exactly when they changed from wood to bakelite but I got mine in 1958 so it could have been mid 1950's when they changed.

One here on Ebay to see as example (watch out for url wrap)

Ross Herbert

If your hotrod works, who cares how old it is

two bob