Billiard tricks... how? (OT)

Hi, There are some movies around of spectacular billiards tricks. Some look too good to be true, and I wonder whether there's some surreptitious technology in the background. You can imagine balls with a conductive centre, and linear motor type coils embedded under the table top guiding the shots on their desired trajectories. If you made a matrix across the whole surface you could program the routine. Does anyone have any information on this being done? Google just lists lots of astounding feats.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Yep, it's called practice and talent. Also, they often use special cue's designed for such "Masse" tricks. Try here for more info:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Australian + Billiard Tricks = Walter Lindrum

Walter Lindrum was the reason many young men took up billiards when they entered the grown ups world, as I did in the late 50's. Seemed to be a Billiard Parlor in every suburb in those days.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

Serial OLED uses standard micro-SD memory cards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16659

USB Flash Drive interface for existing products.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16654
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Yes, I agree. The things on that site are real talent and skill. But have you seen some of the movies doing the rounds at the moment? Potting 6 or more balls from second or third rebounds off one shot. Flipping a ball off the table into the air, which hits another ball on a pedestal, which then drops back onto the felt and sinks multiple balls from a cluster, without missing one. No way. Particularly if they're doing this repeatedly, there has to be something behind the scenes.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Geez, if they tell ya they gotta kill ya ! Somethings are better not known by us humans.

--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P
Reply to

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

How about you point us to these videos? You do realise that they miss these shots more times than they make them? Only the ones that come off make it into the videos. They aren't doing it repeatedly. Never say "no way", some people are just very very good and have lots of time to devote to getting tricks like this working. Perhaps there are "fake" ones out there, but I have not seen them.

I can flip a ball off a table and hit a target, and I suck at billiards. The rest is just a matter of scale.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Sorry, they're all .WMV files sent to me. If someone can tell me how to post them somewhere, happy to oblige.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@z24g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

and I'm sure there are dozens of others.

Alternatively, if they aren't too big, email them to me (one by one) and I can post them on my web host.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Search in youtube: oreidasinuca.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

oreidasinuca.

Sorry to tell you, they are all for real.

All the classic trick shots are there. The Masse curve ball, the coin in the glass, the balancing bottle (which I've seen done with other objects as well), the fast shoot, the curved domino effect etc. I've seen plenty of others do these same shots.

You do these the same way you get to Carnegie Hall - practice, practice, practice.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Well, most of them anyway. You may remember Ian Anderson - I think he appeared on "Pot Black" at some stage. He gave a demonstration of trick shots at our club in the 70s. One involved potting two reds in a seemingly impossible way. After the shot was made and we all scratched out heads, Ian pulled the two reds out of the centre pocket and showed them to us. They were glued together!! His other tricks shots were genuine though.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Peake