Billiard tricks... how? (OT)

Hi,  There are some movies around of spectacular billiards tricks. Some look
too good to be true, and I wonder whether there's some surreptitious
technology in the background. You can imagine balls with a conductive
centre, and linear motor type coils embedded under the table top guiding the
shots on their desired trajectories. If you made a matrix across the whole
surface you could program the routine. Does anyone have any information on
this being done? Google just lists lots of astounding feats.

Re: Billiard tricks... how? (OT)

Yep, it's called practice and talent. Also, they often use special
cue's designed for such "Masse" tricks.
Try here for more info:
http://www.ericyow.com/yowmasse.html

Dave.

Re: Billiard tricks... how? (OT)

Australian + Billiard Tricks = Walter Lindrum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Lindrum

Walter Lindrum  was the reason many young men took up billiards when
they entered the grown ups world, as I did in the late 50's. Seemed to
be a Billiard Parlor in every suburb in those days.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Billiard tricks... how? (OT)

Yes, I agree. The things on that site are real talent and skill. But have
you seen some of the movies doing the rounds at the moment? Potting 6 or
more balls from second or third rebounds off one shot. Flipping a ball off
the table into the air, which hits another ball on a pedestal, which then
drops back onto the felt and sinks multiple balls from a cluster, without
missing one. No way. Particularly if they're doing this repeatedly, there
has to be something behind the scenes.

Re: Billiard tricks... how? (OT)

Geez, if they tell ya they gotta kill ya !
Somethings are better not known by us humans.
--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P

Re: Billiard tricks... how? (OT)

How about you point us to these videos?
You do realise that they miss these shots more times than they make
them? Only the ones that come off make it into the videos. They aren't
doing it repeatedly.
Never say "no way", some people are just very very good and have lots
of time to devote to getting tricks like this working.
Perhaps there are "fake" ones out there, but I have not seen them.

I can flip a ball off a table and hit a target, and I suck at
billiards. The rest is just a matter of scale.

Dave.

Re: Billiard tricks... how? (OT)

Sorry, they're all .WMV files sent to me. If someone can tell me how to post
them somewhere, happy to oblige.

Re: Billiard tricks... how? (OT)

http://www.youtube.com

http://video.google.com.au /

and I'm sure there are dozens of others.

Alternatively, if they aren't too big, email them to me (one by one)
and I can post them on my web host.

Dave.

Re: Billiard tricks... how? (OT)

http://www.youtube.com

Search in youtube: oreidasinuca.

Re: Billiard tricks... how? (OT)

oreidasinuca.

Sorry to tell you, they are all for real.

All the classic trick shots are there. The Masse curve ball, the coin
in the glass, the balancing bottle (which I've seen done with other
objects as well), the fast shoot, the curved domino effect etc. I've
seen plenty of others do these same shots.

You do these the same way you get to Carnegie Hall - practice,
practice, practice.

Dave.

Re: Billiard tricks... how? (OT)

Well, most of them anyway. You may remember Ian Anderson - I think he
appeared on "Pot Black" at some stage. He gave a demonstration of trick
shots at our club in the 70s. One involved potting two reds in a
seemingly impossible way. After the shot was made and we all scratched
out heads, Ian pulled the two reds out of the centre pocket and showed
them to us. They were glued together!! His other tricks shots were
genuine though.

Alan

Site Timeline