Beyond Tomorrow: What a sucky show

Little more then "gimmick of the week"
and what a waste of time.

Compare this to the same show that was on in the 90s
when it was called Beyond 2000 and they actually took
the time to find articles which were either very, very,
new and not yet on the market or still in the process of
being researched.....

The segments were little more then time fillers IMHO
and on the whole the show felt like it was trying very
hard to be fun and cool.

The only thing I liked was the 3d printer but that machine
has been around since about the year 2001 and wasn't
exactly a new invention or such.

I don't think the show will have a very long run

Re: Beyond Tomorrow: What a sucky show

Pah, It was at it's peak when it was called "Towards 2000" and lived on the
ABC.

Re: Beyond Tomorrow: What a sucky show

That's why Beyond 2000 got canned last time. It went down market in the
1990s to "toy of the week" (as I called it at the time) and ratings went
through the floor. Meanwhile, Quantum kept winning awards.

Cheers
David

Re: Beyond Tomorrow: What a sucky show

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 16:25:26 +1000, David Bromage
composed:

These shows nearly always turn to crap when they migrate to the
commercial stations. Shows like "Beyond 2000" and "60 Minutes" are all
about showcasing the presenter or the interviewer, not the story or
the interviewee. OTOH, high quality programs such as Quantum,
Catalyst, and Four Corners hardly ever show the interviewer. Instead
they focus on the subject.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Beyond Tomorrow: What a sucky show

I'm unaware of a high quality program called Catalyst. I've seen ads for
that thing the ABC shows on Thursdays, but once that ad said that this
week's program had a story on psychic pets.

Re: Beyond Tomorrow: What a sucky show

Yep and they completely debunked it.

Re: Beyond Tomorrow: What a sucky show

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:11:52 +0930, Kissing Lettuce

Yes. Beyond 2000 and Towards 2000 both these shows where of a higher
class going back a fair few years now. Back then they had science
minded reporters. Today they just have reporters who hear of a story
and go with the flow.

If you like science shows then nothing beats Catalyst on the ABC at
8:pm on Thursday nights. Foxtel also has a good range of science shows
to watch.

Re: Beyond Tomorrow: What a sucky show

I found the presenters rather painful as well... they need people
a bit more scientific, who can ask more interesting questions (or
make more interesting observations) rather than just responding
to everything with: Wow. Amazing. Incredible.

A bit of gimmickry is to be expected (I don't mind a little), but
I'd like to see it take a bit more of a scientific approach.  But
then... I'm a nerd :)

Fleeced

Re: Beyond Tomorrow: What a sucky show

Agreed. And it was a *printer*, not a photocopier...

The music was crap too.

Ditto :)

--
Katharine
  If you make enough predictions, a few are bound to be correct. The hits

What they should do on this show is play segments from the original show. It
would be really cool to see when they first showed the CD player off and
other stuff like that.

Mike

Re: Beyond Tomorrow: What a sucky show

Actually, that could make a pretty cool show by itself... they
could go over things they got right, things they got wrong, and
things that could have been, but didn't happen for whatever
reason.... they don't even have to restrict themselves to the
old Beyond (or Towards) 2000 shows... there's so much
material from the past of where they expected us to be today,
that they'd have enough story ideas to last quite a while.

Fleeced

Re: Beyond Tomorrow: What a sucky show

Yep, that'd be very intersting. They should at least do a segment on it.

--
Katharine
  ".........." ~ Marcel Marceau

Re: Beyond Tomorrow: What a sucky show

Good idea, it would be really cool to see someone talking about how we'd all
be driving anti-gravity cars in the year 2000 etc. Wanna go into television?
;-)

hmmm, I wonder if they've got bill gates on film saying we'd never need more
than 640k of ram.

Michael

Re: Beyond Tomorrow: What a sucky show

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:11:52 +0930, Kissing Lettuce

Yes, unfortunately they seemed to have ripped a reporter or two from
Catalyst as well.

- Rob

Site Timeline