Best value AA rechargable batteries?

Most of my rechargeable AAs are getting a bit sad, time to buy some
new ones. I thought I'd ask here, as you guys would likely save me a
lot of time looking and comparing... thanks.

NB: looking for quality over cheapness...

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

This article raises some valid points and is liberally sprinkled with
external references;

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-rechargeable-batteries/

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?
On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:05:34 +1000, "Bob Milutinovic"

Thanks Bob, ended up buying 8 x 2550mAh Panasonic Eneloop Pros through
ebay.

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

I use Eneloop almost exclusively. However I've found that, with a good
charger / conditioner most name brand cells last well. I have a Maha
MH-C9000 "WizardOne" Charger / Analyser and I haven't had to 'retire' any
reasonable brand cells since getting the Maha (and using it correctly).
Heck, even el-cheapo no-name cells that came with solar garden LEDs are
still going in low-draw devices when charged / conditioned in the Maha.

I use Eneloops in all of my A/V remote controls and they last years between
charge/reconditions.
--
</Shaun>.

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?
[snip]
[snip]

Having now read the comments below that article I see that a lot of folks
are recommending the LaCrosse charger. A friend of mine had one of those
but, after he came and stayed with me for a while and used my Maha for
charging his camera and flashlight batteries he gave his LaCrosse away and
bought a MH-C9000.

I used to have the URL of a head-to-head shoot-out between the chargers but
can't find it now. :-/
--
</Shaun>.

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

"~misfit~"

** Really ?

It must be more economical to use alkalines in low consumption devices like
them.

....    Phil

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

More economical perhaps. However I'm the son of a proto-tree hugging hippie
and was raised to never use a disposable where a reusable can be employed.
(After confirming that it's not some really nasty reusable environmentally
speaking - I didn't widely adopt Ni-Cads for instance...)

Also I've had *two* remotes ruined by leaking 'fit-and-forget' alkalines,
damn expansive to replace too. I've been using Eneloops since 2007 IIRC and
I've never seen one start to look like it might leak yet. Anyway the ~36
month recharge cycle is great for a quick eyeball of the cell's integrity...
--
</Shaun>.

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

"~misfit~" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

** No bloody likely  !!!.

  ( apologies to GBS)

** You are Shaun the Sheep Shagger  -  aren't you ?

 From * waaaaaay*  back in the days of the Electronics Australia readers
forum.

** So you employ re-usable condoms too ??

** I've had none  -  and alkalines never leak until they are dead flat.

**  Remotes cost me about 50 cents a year each to keep happy.

    No way NiMHs can match that.

....     Phil

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

No. Wrong person. Never read EA or visited their forums.

No. I just make one last for hours and hours. ;)

Because you've had none that doesn't mean it doens't happen.

Also your info is wrong because the last time I had badly leaking alkalines
was in a rarely used remote that I used, thought "this doesn't have Eneloops
in - I'll change it" and, on opening the battery door was greeted by a
sticky, foul mess leaking from one of the cells.

I meant expensive to replace remotes, not ther batteries. I had one that
died due to traces lifting on the PCB caused by leaked primary cell juice.
(Not sure that they were alkaline, might have been common 'heavy duty'
things.)

</Shaun>.

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

That doesn't make any sense when Alkaline batteries in remote controls
typically last for years anyway and you would be better off putting
those rechargeables in higher drain devices where it would be more
economic to do so.

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

See my reply to Phil. One man's sense is another man's folly.
--
</Shaun>.

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

One of my remotes fails after a few months. I decided to change
everything to Enerloop XX not because they were better, let alone
cheaper, but because I thought it would simplify my life stocking only
two different batteries. I even bought some AA to D and C adapters. A
big plus was traveling with only 4 spare batteries and the tiny USB
charger
<http://us.sanyo.com/Battery-Products/AA-2-Pack-with-USB-Charger .

Unfortunately I can't completely change because a Samsung remote and
my bathroom scales die after a few months. Both use 4 cells and I
assume the problem is because they are fussy about the lower voltage
of NiMh batteries.

As for the Maha charger <http://www.mahaenergy.com/mh-c9000/ , mine
does provide the most entertainment one could get from a battery
charger but that does not really cost justify the purchase price.

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?
On Sun, 3 Aug 2014 13:33:31 +1200, "~misfit~"

Thanks for that. Hmm... I'm using a rather old battery charger, you
have me wondering whether I should look into something a little more
contemporary. Mind you, most of my AA and AAA rechargeables are now
around the 10 y/o mark, so I guess my old charger cannot be too bad.

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

True. However when I bought the MH-C9000 quite a few of my older batteries
that had been taken out of rotation for high-draw devices were able to be
re-conditioned and given a new lease on life.

(I am in no way associated with Maha or any of their dealers - view
expressed is my own only gained from experience. I gave away three other
chargers that I had sitting around after I got the Maha, one of which was an
Eneloop-branded charger. It worked fine but I do like the function that
tells you capacity so I can match cells, especially where they're used in
series as, if one's more than 10% higher capacity than the other you can
inadvertantly 'reverse-charge' the lesser cell, permanently damaging it.)
--
</Shaun>.

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?
On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 17:53:09 +1200, "~misfit~"

Thanks for the advice misfit, I'll take a closer look at the Maha
chargers.

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

Never had to regret buying these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct39%273
I tested them in-circuit with a PIC set-up for capacity and internal
resistance with good results. I use AAs  mostly in RC radios.
AAAs are in my remotes and phones.
Using simple Soshine charger or in device low current charging.

Tony

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

They look good Tony, and the price is right too.

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

Look to be good value, thanks for that.

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

Very nearly bought a dozen... until the $15 shipping was added.

Re: Best value AA rechargable batteries?

:) a bit of a trap, however you have to be aware that HK has also an
Australian warehouse (click top left menu). Which would be even better
if you were in Sydney, to pick up yourself.
The Australia warehouse stocks only the single AA (not 4pack), but
shipping for 12 would be $6.33 courier, or $7.91 AusPost.
$29 for a dozen is still a good price.
If you are in a hurry and happy with second best, the Woollies
Essentials I bought were quite good as well for the money (not sure how
much they were).

Tony

Site Timeline