Best place to get hold of LEDS

Good Morning,

Would like to make some displays with LEDs and was after some
suggestions about the best places to get them from ? In particular
after 5mm LEDS, nice high brightness ones of different colours. Ive
seen plenty of places on the web with varying prices - can anyone
comment which makes are best and which to keep away from ?

I remember LEDS always used to pretty much last forever but have
noticed increasingly that in some consumer products they seem to be
dying early.....

Thanks

Cheers

James

Re: Best place to get hold of LEDS

Even DSE still stock a wide variety of LEDs. Well, last time I looked anyway

geoff

Re: Best place to get hold of LEDS

Of various dubious quality and sources of course.
If the OP is serious about getting and specing quality known LEDs then you
have to go to the quality suppliers like Farnell, Digikey Mouser etc.
Quality brands are the likes of Kingbright, Vishay, Avago to name a few.
If you  buy from Jaycar/DSE/Futurlec/ebay etc it's just a lucky-dip, you get
whatever fell off the Shenzen truck last week.

Dave.

Re: Best place to get hold of LEDS

:geoff wrote:
:> Criminal wrote:
:>> Good Morning,
:>>
:>>
:>> Would like to make some displays with LEDs and was after some
:>> suggestions about the best places to get them from ? In particular
:>> after 5mm LEDS, nice high brightness ones of different colours. Ive
:>> seen plenty of places on the web with varying prices - can anyone
:>> comment which makes are best and which to keep away from ?
:>>
:>> I remember LEDS always used to pretty much last forever but have
:>> noticed increasingly that in some consumer products they seem to be
:>> dying early.....
:>
:>
:
:Of various dubious quality and sources of course.
:If the OP is serious about getting and specing quality known LEDs then you
:have to go to the quality suppliers like Farnell, Digikey Mouser etc.
:Quality brands are the likes of Kingbright, Vishay, Avago to name a few.
:If you  buy from Jaycar/DSE/Futurlec/ebay etc it's just a lucky-dip, you get
:whatever fell off the Shenzen truck last week.
:
:Dave.

I fully concur with your recommendation Dave.

Re: Best place to get hold of LEDS

For LED"s you can't go past Tenrod Australia, I buy heaps of LED's from them
and never have any problems.

They are sellers of Kingbright and Dominant LED's. Dominant are now making
some great value 5mm LED"s.

you
get

Re: Best place to get hold of LEDS

Podcast:http://www.eevblog.com

In both the DSE's that I go to locally - even their LED display board
(display unit with each type of LED lit and a momentary action toggle
switch you can use to bring them to full brightness to "try before you
buy") has several examples failed - and not fixed.
Hardly a good advertisement.

Have bought a couple of the bags of standard LEDS (100 pack) from DSE
for general use, used about 70% of them so far and had no trouble with
them, but the last lot I got would have been 2006-7 or so.

I wouldn't trust the high brightness LEDs though from the cheap
sources.

I have heard many complaints of even high spec, higher brightness
category of LED's failing prematurely, and for no obvious reason. Even
running them well under published specs doesn't seem to help extend
their lives.
Everywhere where I see LED traffic lights, its quite usual to see a
significant number of blown LED's in them.  The "turn arrow" ones seem
more reliable for some reason.

For this reason, if you want high brightness / high performance LEDS,
especially in a critical application I agree you should not cut
corners.

Re: Best place to get hold of LEDS

If you want cheap LEDs (and will spend more than $25USD) try
http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn /
They are OK to deal with and the LEDs seem OK too. The LEDs work, are
colour matched and pretty much as expected.

Re: Best place to get hold of LEDS

http://www.ledsales.com.au/catalog/index.php

I have done business with them once and was completely satisfied.

G.

Re: Best place to get hold of LEDS

Good Morning,

Thanks everyone for your responses, gives me a few things to look at

Cheers

Re: Best place to get hold of LEDS

EBAY is the place to go for almost any kind of LED related stuff IMHO.  Most
suppliers are direct
mainland chinese based and they seem to be building a technological base of
manufacturing and development
as well.  They are producing "Lumiled Like" high power leds, but also have an
impressive lineup of lesser
power leds in all the usual colors, red, green, blue, white (both phospher based
as well as "soft white" RGB
multichip non-phospher types), yellow, UV, and so on.  They are the only place
I've found 5-chip ultra bright
white leds (100ma).  They are quickly developing "off the shelf" product
applications like
spotlight/floodlight replacements, T-8 fluorescent replacements, panel meters,
smd backlighting, etc.  Along
with this is a bunch of "less useful" applications that usually don't continue
to be offered if they don't
sell.  I think they are just trying to conceive of uses no matter how crazy, and
are "throwing them at the
wall and keeping what 'sticks'".  Topping it all off, shipping is free most
places and they ship as fast as
anyone via mail.  The LEDs they manufacture are world class, IMHO.  They are
also only a fraction of the cost
of the "non-chinese" equivilents.  regards, Joe.

snipped-for-privacy@upwardaccess.com

Site Timeline