beginner's IC question

Hi all

Im a beginner to electronics, one of my hobbies is arcade gaming so Im learning to diagnose PCB problems.

Quick question though - are there specific meanings for some of the prefixes on the chip numbers?

For example, Im hunting for D43256AC-10L ram chips. At futurlec.com, I find "43256-10L - 32Kx8 CMOS RAM". Can I assume these are the same chip, just with a generic number? What do the D and AC mean? I also find UPD43256AC-10L chips at rockby - what does the UP mean?

Im wondering if theyre the same chip, different manufacturing process or something.

Thanks

Reply to
Simon

"Simon"

** Just identification codes dreamt up by the makers really.

Often it indicates the maker and the general class of device.

LM = Natsemi linear, MJ = Motorola bipolar, TL = Texas Inst linear etc.

** Asian makers often omit the initial letters of a part number on packages.

C1234 = 2SC1234, D1234 = 2SD1234, K123 = 2SK123 etc on transistors.

UPC ( or uPC) & UPD ( or uPD) appear to indicate the part is made by NEC, or originated from them.

Again, it may be often seen with the UP (or uP ) missing - so just C 2345 or D12345 etc on ICs.

Always look for the maker's logo on a package, sometimes it is a vital clue in working out what the part is.

If you are asking for others to help you identify a part, describe the package and any logo you see in addition to the part number.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Just adding to what Phil said here, have a look at:

a great site for logo info. may take a while to fully load the pics.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller.
Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16460
Reply to
Don McKenzie

get the datasheet from the manufacturer or a third party and all will be revealed.

use google with the chip's number (43256) and the keyword datasheet.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

The first letters designate the manufacturer. The main number is the device type, and the "-10L" is the access speed of the device, which may be important. The "AC" may relate to the type of package - google it to be sure.

geoff

Reply to
Geoff