beginner's IC question

Hi all

Im a beginner to electronics, one of my hobbies is arcade gaming so Im
learning to diagnose PCB problems.

Quick question though - are there specific meanings for some of the
prefixes on the chip numbers?

For example, Im hunting for D43256AC-10L ram chips. At futurlec.com, I
find "43256-10L - 32Kx8 CMOS RAM". Can I assume these are the same chip,
just with a generic number? What do the D and AC mean? I also find
UPD43256AC-10L chips at rockby - what does the UP mean?

Im wondering if theyre the same chip, different manufacturing process or
something.

Thanks

Re: beginner's IC question

"Simon"

 ** Just identification codes dreamt up by the makers really.

 Often it indicates the maker and the general class of device.

 LM   =  Natsemi linear,    MJ   =  Motorola bipolar,  TL = Texas Inst
linear   etc.

** Asian makers often omit the initial letters of a part number on packages.

 C1234  =  2SC1234,   D1234  =  2SD1234,  K123 = 2SK123  etc  on
transistors.

UPC ( or uPC)  & UPD ( or uPD)  appear to indicate the part is made by NEC,
or originated from them.

Again, it may be often seen with the UP (or uP ) missing  -   so just C 2345
or   D12345 etc  on  ICs.

Always look for the maker's logo on a package, sometimes it is a vital clue
in working out what the part is.

If you are asking for others to help you identify a part, describe the
package and any logo you see in addition to the part number.

......  Phil

Re: beginner's IC question

Just adding to what Phil said here, have a look at:
http://bos.hack.org/ic_logos /
a great site for logo info.
may take a while to fully load the pics.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: beginner's IC question

get the datasheet from the manufacturer or a third party and all will be
revealed.

use google with the chip's number (43256) and the keyword datasheet.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: beginner's IC question

The first letters designate the manufacturer. The main number is the device
type, and the "-10L" is the access speed of the device, which may be
important.  The "AC" may relate to the type of package - google it to be
sure.

geoff

Site Timeline