Battery wriring.

I have 4x 6V 12Ah gel cells that I'm going to wire up for a total of

12Ah at 12V (two parallel strings of two batteries).

The question is:

Is there any benefit or (or detrimental effect) of shorting the 6V point of both series strings together?

Reply to
Caliban

"Caliban"

** Have you thought about using ballast resistors ???

;-)

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I think you only need two batteries in series to get 12 Ah at 12 V...

Reply to
Tom

** Well spotted - nice one Tom.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Easy way

+_______/ +[6v]- --- +[6v]- \_______ - \ +[6v]- --- +[6v]- /

Double V double A

Reply to
Matt2 - Amstereo

Arse. Yes that was supposed to be 24Ah sorry. Teach me to post after Friday night knockoff beers. The question remains though, any point/detrement to shorting the 6V tap?

I take it by your (other) sarcastic post you think this is similar to electrolytics Pill?

Reply to
Caliban

Two in serial and two in parallel connection of four identical batteries is the way to go - standard practice. There are some considerations if there are more than two parallel links of batteries....

12Ah

point

Reply to
hadda hadda

I think that is what he is suggesting - he's asking whether there would be any effect if the middle wires were connected together, ie. making it a series string of 2 pairs of paralleled batteries.

Reply to
Poxy

No determental effect while batteries are delivering power; but could be a problem when charging -- the battery with the lower internal resistance will tend to charge better, so oyu don't really get a "proper" full charge.

Reply to
Craig Hart

Yep that's what I was asking.

Reply to