Battery wriring.

I have 4x 6V 12Ah gel cells that I'm going to wire up for a total of
12Ah at 12V (two parallel strings of two batteries).

The question is:

Is there any benefit or (or detrimental effect) of shorting the 6V point
of both series strings together?

Re: Battery wriring.

"Caliban"

**  Have you thought about using ballast resistors ???

   ;-)

...........   Phil

Re: Battery wriring.

I think you only need two batteries in series to get 12 Ah at 12 V...

Re: Battery wriring.

"Tom"

  ** Well spotted   -  nice one Tom.

..........   Phil

Re: Battery wriring.

Arse. Yes that was supposed to be 24Ah sorry. Teach me to post after
Friday night knockoff beers. The question remains though, any
point/detrement to shorting the 6V tap?

I take it by your (other) sarcastic post you think this is similar to
electrolytics Pill?

Re: Battery wriring.

Two in serial and two in parallel connection of four identical batteries is
the way to go - standard practice.
There are some considerations if there are more than two parallel links of
batteries....

12Ah
point

Re: Battery wriring.

Easy way

+_______/  +[6v]-  ---  +[6v]- \_______ -
         \  +[6v]-  ---  +[6v]- /

Double V double A

Re: Battery wriring.

I think that is what he is suggesting - he's asking whether there would be
any effect if the middle wires were connected together, ie. making it a
series string of 2 pairs of paralleled batteries.

Re: Battery wriring.

Yep that's what I was asking.

Re: Battery wriring.

No determental effect while batteries are delivering power; but could be a
problem when charging -- the battery with the lower internal resistance will
tend to charge better, so oyu don't really get a "proper" full charge.

Re: Battery wriring.

Cheers, I won't do it then.

Site Timeline