battery question - Page 2

Re: battery question
On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 19:53:43 +1000, "Rod Speed"

We'll see about that.

And you'll pay for it even more. You won't see a reply from me again,
unless in person.

Re: battery question

It really is trivially easy to find.

Such threats do nothing to further your argument.

Don't get so worked up over other peoples posts on usenet, it is just
usenet and people have different opinions. You're not supposed to take
it all that seriously.

Re: battery question

Well, I tried (an admittedly brief) search and didn't find anything of
note. Will try again later. Or maybe there's something I don't know
about him...

I know that, been on Usenet long enough. In your case though, you
expressed a particular opinion that I have a particular problem with,
having seen people needlessly suffer because of such opinions. It's
something I'm closely involved with. I won't bother debating it any
further though. In Rod's case, he didn't actually anger me so much as
I think it'd be so good to see him finally get his comeuppance.

Re: battery question

Just another fuckwit druggy that could even
find its arse if it wasn't so firmly attached.

You're such a terminal fuckwit that no matter
how often you try, you'll end up face down in
the mud, as always.

Presumably you actually are that stupid.

Your problem, as always.

Pigs arse you have.

Because you are just another fuckwit druggy.

Yeah, even a stupid druggy has noticed
when its face down in the mud, as always.

Just another of your pathetic little druggy fantasys, fuckwit druggy.

Its you that will end up jail, fuckwit druggy.

Re: battery question

There is only one opinion and I will let you guess who it belongs to. Well
in his dementia anyway.

Re: battery question

We've seen about that.

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys, fuckwit druggy.

Great, there is only so much of your stupid druggy
shit anyone should ever have to put up with.

The rotty and the shotty will soon fix that, fuckwit druggy.

Re: battery question

It is just a bog standard SLA (sealed lead acid) battery; a sort of gel
cell.

Replace with cheapest one of the same size that you can get hold of,
IME, they are cactus after two years just sitting there as the continual
standby charging just dries them out and you can not get water back into
them.

They are also pretty much cactus after their first use as the discharge
rate is usually way beyond C/20, which is what it should be for maximum
life cycles.

Re: battery question

SHUTDOWN and not hibernation.
Shutdown is no power draw.
Hibernation is still a power draw and sometimes not that much of a
savings. A UPS is usually(commercially) a device to allow graceful & safe
shutdown or a transistion device to bridge until the backup generator
kicks in.

If you want it to signal the PC to go into hibernation, then look for one
that will give a hibernation signal, followed by a shutdown if the UPS
battery drops significantly.

The small UPS are not designed as medium or long term power devices,
despite the expectations of a lot of people who effectively misuse/
mispurpose them.

Re: battery question

hint, how does the system recover from hibernation?

Re: battery question

By loading the saved snapshot on booting.

Hibernate is just a shutdown but with a saved snapshot that is loaded on
boot.

There is no more power consumption when hibernating as there is when
shut down. In fact you can hibernate and unplug the PC, and the next
time you plug it in and boot it will boot to where you left of.

You are thinking of sleep mode which keeps systems like the RAM refreshed.

Re: battery question

Err, I'll make it clearer for the idiots, if the system is shut down,
really shut down and not the modern dribbling power hibernation, then how
does it detect the "signal" to wake up?

Otherwise, it isn't shut down, but in a hibernation mode and consuming
power while it test if a signal has been received.

Re: battery question

The same way you can choose to power up from those same signals (mouse,
keyboard, network, button).
The point is, hibernation does not consume any more power than shutting
down which puts the PC in the same standby mode.

Hibernation is the same as shutting down in terms of power consumption -
any of those signals can turn on the PC even if it hasn't been hibernated.

The only way to truly switch off the PC is to flick a mains switch
either at the power supply or power point so the PC isn't consuming any
standby power (which to monitor the signal is measured in mere milliwats
anyway)

Hope that makes it clear for the real idiot here who doesn't get it.

Re: battery question

Yep, better explanation than mine.

He most certainly is.

Re: battery question

DOS version 2 was heavily influenced by unix.

--
umop apisdn

Re: battery question

It borrowed some concepts from UNIX but with a very important and
defining differences like installable device drivers.

Re: battery question

Now that was a great step forward over unix, you had to point to the
device driver and load it on boot up in DOS, whereas unix just loaded the
driver(another file) as and when needed.

Re: battery question

Well no, with UNIX you had to recompile to include the driver.

Re: battery question

that might explain where you were going wrong.
Unix or Linux?

You could recompile to include it in the kernel in Linux, but it was just
for faster access.

Re: battery question

No Frank, I first used Unix in 1974. I know how it worked initially and
why stuff was eventually built into the kernel. Modularity was key point
in Unix. Linux was just a later sideline.

You only needed to recompile stuff if you changed stuff, like hardware,
host or otherwise. Interestingly, you could do that in unix. I don't
remember MS ever sharing source code so you could mix and match.

Of course this was all pre 8088/86 hardware and when they did arive you
used Minux if you wanted a PC unix like os till the 80386 came around and
Linus did his little project.

Re: battery question

So why post "Unix or Linux" when it's abundantly clear that it wasn't
Linux in that timeframe you goose.

And with MS-DOS you simply loaded a driver - no reason to recompile
stuff and that was an important difference as I said before.

You seem to think you know it all,  and when it's clear that you don't
you shift the goalposts or engage in selective snipping in a desperate
attempt to cover up the evidence of your ignorance.

Site Timeline