Battery level indicator - Tri-colour?

I want to use a tri-colour LED (or maybe just 3 different coloured LED's) to
monitor the output voltage of a circuit, to tell me if the voltage is normal
(green), too low (amber), or too high (red).
I have seen the "Bi-colour LED battery voltage indicator", but was wondering
if there is such thing as a 3-stage indicator rather than just a 2-stage.

I would like some links or schematics to assist me.  I haven't had much luck
using search engines.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Battery level indicator - Tri-colour?

--------------040704000304000400090401

You mean like this one from Jaycar

<http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KA1683&CATID=&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=yes&Keyword1=K&Keyword2=K&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

Kevin Martin

--------------040704000304000400090401

begin:vcard
note:To Reply  Delete what is not required
version:2.1
end:vcard

--------------040704000304000400090401--

Re: Battery level indicator - Tri-colour?

<http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KA1683&CATID=&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=yes&Keyword1=K&Keyword2=K&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

hmmm, no, I'd rather not have 10 LED's.  A tri-colour would be nice, or just
a green, yellow and red LED.  I'm sure it's possible.  But thanks anyway. =)

Re: Battery level indicator - Tri-colour?

normal
wondering
luck

For three colours you only need two leds, consider what happens when both
are on.

Search for "window detectors".

How about something like this.  I will set something up for a car battery.
To make up some numbers say one detector(A) turns on below 12 V.  The
other(B) turns off below 10V.
Now with a bicoloured led hook A to the red led, B to the Green.

Batt V   DetectA Detect B Colours
9                  ON     OFF       RED
11                ON     ON         RED + GREEN= AMBER?
13                OFF   ON         GREEN

I know that the problem with this system is that Green now becomes the
colour for overvolt, but it gives you a start.

HTH

Mike

Re: Battery level indicator - Tri-colour?

Umm ok, that sounds like a start I suppose.  I'll check it out later on.
Thanks =)

Re: Battery level indicator - Tri-colour?

Jaycar have an RGB led for $5.95 (ZD-0270).
You could also use a bi-colour led. Use the green and red for the normal and
high functions, then oscillate the signal to the led to create amber for the low
indicator.

Re: Battery level indicator - Tri-colour?

Thanks. I'll take that into consideration, as I've read that a 3-pin package
is not as common as the 2-pin.  Easier to install on a PCB also.  Now all i
need is a good battery level circuit that will control it for me!  I'm
looking for a schematic as I want to be able to twink with the
components/operation. Like I want to be able to control the low, normal and
high voltages with precision, if possible.  e.g. 13.6V.

Site Timeline