Battery Charger that AutoDetects Full Charge

Hi guys.

I have a 10(?) year old battery charger.  It doesn't detect when a
battery has been charged.  I must remember to turn it off or remove the
batteries.  A real pain in the @$$.

It also doesn't take D size so I want to get a new charger that does.

I remember a friend had a charger that displayed a red LED when
charging & changed to a green LED when the A batteries it accepted were
charged.

I went to a Dick Smith & the charger they showed me didn't detect a
full charge.  You had to get the charge duration out of the instruction
sheet.  It was pretty clear they new nothing about battery chargers.

Maybe someone here can help me.  Are there charges that take up to D
size & detect when a battery is charged & stop charging?

Thanx 4 looking.

Re: Battery Charger that AutoDetects Full Charge

Jaycar has a couple. Page 198 onwards in their catalogue.
Rechargeable D cells aren't cheap.

Re: Battery Charger that AutoDetects Full Charge

server.bigpond.net.au:

 If it happens that you need the D cell for it's physical size and
not it's capacity, then maybe those plastic D-sized shells that
accepted an AA sized battery up the middle of them might be useful.
Do they still exist?

GB
--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

Re: Battery Charger that AutoDetects Full Charge

Jaycar had them two weeks ago.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Battery Charger that AutoDetects Full Charge

or jaycar.com.au

Or very good. They lose charge very quickly. As they are usually in a torch
this is a pain.

Michael

Re: Battery Charger that AutoDetects Full Charge

Thanx 4 the replies guys.

That sux!  I wanted them for my torch too.

Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) D's are $25 each!
https://secure4.vivid-design.com.au/jaycar2005/productView.asp?ID=SB2460&CATID18%&keywords=&SPECIAL=&formCA%T&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID58%3

Nicad starts @ $7.50.
https://secure4.vivid-design.com.au/jaycar2005/productView.asp?ID=SB2461&CATID18%&keywords=&SPECIAL=&formCA%T&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID28%3

What is the difference between the 2 battery types?

Thanx again

Re: Battery Charger that AutoDetects Full Charge

I've had both types and they both lose charge quickly. I thought there was
something wrong as every time I went to use the torch it was flat.

https://secure4.vivid-design.com.au/jaycar2005/productView.asp?ID=SB2460&CATID18%&keywords=&SPECIAL=&formCA%T&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID58%3
https://secure4.vivid-design.com.au/jaycar2005/productView.asp?ID=SB2461&CATID18%&keywords=&SPECIAL=&formCA%T&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID28%3

NiMHs hold more charge, cost more and supposedly don't have a memory effect.

Michael

Re: Battery Charger that AutoDetects Full Charge

Thanx for replying again Michael C.

One more question if I'm not stressing you too much,
I don't use the torch very often.  I thought the rechargeable batteries
might run flat quicker than regular batteries when being used but are
you saying the batteries in your torch went flat without even using
them?

Re: Battery Charger that AutoDetects Full Charge

ni-mh self discharge is about 0.7% /day @20deg. self discharge rate is
lower at lower temps, so store your torch batts in the freezer or charge
before use.

ni-cd self discharge is lower. but alkaline last for years, and can be
charged for a few cycles as well - with the correct charger

: Thanx for replying again Michael C.
:
: One more question if I'm not stressing you too much,
: I don't use the torch very often.  I thought the rechargeable
batteries
: might run flat quicker than regular batteries when being used but are
: you saying the batteries in your torch went flat without even using
: them?
:

Re: Battery Charger that AutoDetects Full Charge

rechargables don't have the shelf life of disposaable batteries.
they go flat while resting (but can be recharged)

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Battery Charger that AutoDetects Full Charge

Absolutely. I'd leave the torch in the cupboard for a month and batteries
would be dead flat. This happened with the $25 per battery D Cell NiMHs from
jaycar as well as the cheaper D Cell NiCads. It doesn't seem to be such a
problem with AAs.

There's no point in buying the NiCads because they have around the same
2000mAh rating as AAs. I just went out and bought a torch that ran on AAs.
They output the same voltage, use the same globe (so presumably output the
same amount of light) and last just as long.

Michael

Re: Battery Charger that AutoDetects Full Charge

from

NiMH batteries are known to suffer from self-discharge, considerably moreso
than NiCad, although going dead flat in a month seems a bit severe.

Re: Battery Charger that AutoDetects Full Charge

Could be longer, I haven't actually timed it, although they are definately
worse than the AAs which seem to last in the tv remote for a year (although
again I never timed that either).

Michael

Re: Battery Charger that AutoDetects Full Charge

This is a great group.  I'm really glad I asked for assistance.  Thanx
again to everyone.

I hardly use the torch.  It would cost me $30 to buy 3 adapters to use
AA batteries (or C batteries are also an option).  It is probably more
economical to buy alkalines whenever I need them.  I could go through
12 alkaline batteries for that amount (that's running the torch
batteries flat 4 times).
https://secure4.vivid-design.com.au/jaycar2005/productView.asp?ID=PH9295&CATID18%&keywords=&SPECIAL=&formCA%T&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID52%2

I searched the JayCar website for chargers that restore alkaline
batteries but couldn't find any.  Can anybody give me some more info?
Are they much more expensive than regular chargers?

Do I need to take any precautions with storing batteries in the
freezer?  Is frost a concern?  Should I put them in a ziplock or
something?

Thanx again to everyone for helping me.

Site Timeline