Battery charger IC's - Request for advise from the brains trust.

Hi Fellows,

I'm putting together some ideas for a battery charger which I need to
construct.

It will primarily be for NiCd and Nimh battery packs containing 4, 5,
and eight cells.

Does anyone have any experience with the battery charger IC's such as
LM3647 or MAX1641? or any similar type?

Are they reliable or should I do it the hard way?

If I was just after two outlets I'd just by a peak detecting charger
but I need to charge and maintain 10 individual packs.

Cheers,
Sam T

Re: Battery charger IC's - Request for advise from the brains trust.

Small microcontroller?

Check out Zilog Z8 or TI MSP430. I beleive both have reference design of a
battery charger on their website.

Rudolf