Battery Acid on Electric Toothbrush

Hi guys.

I have an Oral B/Braun electric toothbrush that sits on it's charger,
something like this
http://www.oralb.com/products/Compare/comparePower.asp

There is a build up of a powdery substance where the battery & charger
contact.  I think this is battery acid.  After using the toothbrush I
always rinse it.  I think the water is running down the toothbrush to
the area where the battery & charger make contact.

Is the water causing the buildup of battery acid?  Is this doing any
harm to the battery or charger?  Is there a special way to clean
battery acid?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanx 4 looking.

Re: Battery Acid on Electric Toothbrush

Sorry but  that smelly orange scum is bacteria (most probably
Listeria monocytogenes) not battery acid. All that moisture.
teeth cleaning debris and warmth provides a nice breeding
ground.  Try cleaning with vinegar and an old tooth brush (and
you thought you didn't need one now you had an electric
toothbrush).

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Battery Acid on Electric Toothbrush

Perhaps you need this
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72478.asp?promo=xsells

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Battery Acid on Electric Toothbrush

PS it is a common problem just plug "Listeria electric
toothbrush" into Google.

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Battery Acid on Electric Toothbrush

Also use anti-bacterial toothpaste.

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Battery Acid on Electric Toothbrush

PS if its green rather than orange it's another bacterium.
Salmonella I think but someone else will know. In any event it
is not battery acid.

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Battery Acid on Electric Toothbrush

Also toothbrush sanitation is as much about drying it as washing
it,

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Battery Acid on Electric Toothbrush

See
http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/positions/statements/toothbrush.asp

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Battery Acid on Electric Toothbrush

Pity some people who use electric toothbrushes can't or won't read the
instructions regarding hygiene and the general care instructions associated
with the appliance. :-(  Then they wonder why they feel ill.  Mind you, the
same could probably said for normal (manual) toothbrush hygiene.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Battery Acid on Electric Toothbrush

No, it's toothpaste residue. The battery is sealed and for any acid to leak
out would cause the circut to malfuntion before you would notice acid.
Try rinsing properly.
If I'm wrong you could end up with very white teeth!
:-D

Re: Battery Acid on Electric Toothbrush

Ive had these things since they came out - It aint battery acid, its
toothpaste residue that builds up over time, perhaps a combination of
mould/bacteria aswell.

One squirt with mould killer spray - you don't even have to touch it, and
its gone next time you look at it.

| Hi guys.
|
| I have an Oral B/Braun electric toothbrush that sits on it's charger,
| something like this
| http://www.oralb.com/products/Compare/comparePower.asp
|
| There is a build up of a powdery substance where the battery & charger
| contact.  I think this is battery acid.  After using the toothbrush I
| always rinse it.  I think the water is running down the toothbrush to
| the area where the battery & charger make contact.
|
| Is the water causing the buildup of battery acid?  Is this doing any
| harm to the battery or charger?  Is there a special way to clean
| battery acid?
|
| Any info is appreciated.
|
| Thanx 4 looking.

Re: Battery Acid on Electric Toothbrush

 Actually, it's still there, it's just had the colour bleached
out of it.

GB
--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

Re: Battery Acid on Electric Toothbrush

its toothpaste residue, moisture etc.  its pretty yuck, but easy
enough to clean off.

Site Timeline