Battery Acid on Electric Toothbrush

Hi guys.

I have an Oral B/Braun electric toothbrush that sits on it's charger, something like this

There is a build up of a powdery substance where the battery & charger contact. I think this is battery acid. After using the toothbrush I always rinse it. I think the water is running down the toothbrush to the area where the battery & charger make contact.

Is the water causing the buildup of battery acid? Is this doing any harm to the battery or charger? Is there a special way to clean battery acid?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanx 4 looking.

Reply to
ghostgunna

Sorry but that smelly orange scum is bacteria (most probably Listeria monocytogenes) not battery acid. All that moisture. teeth cleaning debris and warmth provides a nice breeding ground. Try cleaning with vinegar and an old tooth brush (and you thought you didn't need one now you had an electric toothbrush).

--
Regards
Blue

Remove Z from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

Perhaps you need this

Regards
Blue

Remove Z from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

PS it is a common problem just plug "Listeria electric toothbrush" into Google.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove Z from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

Also use anti-bacterial toothpaste.

-- Regards Blue

Remove Z from email address to reply directly.

Reply to
aussiblu

PS if its green rather than orange it's another bacterium. Salmonella I think but someone else will know. In any event it is not battery acid.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove Z from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

Also toothbrush sanitation is as much about drying it as washing it,

--
Regards
Blue

Remove Z from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

See

Regards
Blue

Remove Z from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

Pity some people who use electric toothbrushes can't or won't read the instructions regarding hygiene and the general care instructions associated with the appliance. :-( Then they wonder why they feel ill. Mind you, the same could probably said for normal (manual) toothbrush hygiene.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

No, it's toothpaste residue. The battery is sealed and for any acid to leak out would cause the circut to malfuntion before you would notice acid. Try rinsing properly. If I'm wrong you could end up with very white teeth! :-D

Reply to
Peter

Ive had these things since they came out - It aint battery acid, its toothpaste residue that builds up over time, perhaps a combination of mould/bacteria aswell.

One squirt with mould killer spray - you don't even have to touch it, and its gone next time you look at it.

Reply to
TPr

its toothpaste residue, moisture etc. its pretty yuck, but easy enough to clean off.

Reply to
Kr

"TPr" wrote in news:445da611$0$3271$ snipped-for-privacy@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au:

Actually, it's still there, it's just had the colour bleached out of it.

GB

--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)