Basic electronics course - Page 2

Re: Basic electronics course
On Jun 8, 1:28 pm, "Alan Rutlidge"

135 days? How?
It has always been a 2 year *full-time* course as MR T said.

Dave.

Re: Basic electronics course

Dave, when I worked for Telstra Learning in back in 2003 (now Telstra
Learning Academy), the Assoc. Dipl in Electronics was offered to Telstra
technical staff.  The formal open learning ran for 135 days for those who
had no RPL.  Obviously the qualification had to include some workplace
experience and learning, but as I said the self paced open learning
component was only 135 days max.

Telstra Learning was an RTO with this qualification within its scope of
registration.

I hope this clears up any misconceptions.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Basic electronics course

Sure and the Telecom Technicians course was 5 years, the Technical Officers
course was 4 years, and things have been going down hill ever since! :-)

MrT.

Re: Basic electronics course

Absolutely no disagreement there Mr.T.

At one stage a long time ago technicians were actually trained to the level
where they had a good understanding of how things worked.  Now it is simple
alarm interpretation, diagnostics computer print-outs and board replacement.
Sigh.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Basic electronics course

Butting in uncertainly...
In most of the Ass Dip courses I've done, if you have HSC English and
Maths, that was a couple of exemptions. YMMV.

Thenafter,it was usually a case of how well you could write to make it
sound like some of your practical experience was equivalent to a subject.

Re: Basic electronics course

That sound like the one I want. I'm a fast learner and as I said have my own
lab. Most of this stuff won't be new to me. Just want to formalise what I've
learned. Where can I get this?  Have done much searching without any result.

Re: Basic electronics course

The course is broken down into modules, so you choose the modules relevant
to the job you want to do.

Re: Basic electronics course

And are required to do certain core modules, AND a minimum number of
electives, IF you want a certificate.

MrT.

Re: Basic electronics course

Sure, there is a lot of that, but there is also a lot of good
fundamental stuff on offer too. You take the good with the bad in any
course, be it TAFE or UNI.

Yep, that should come first, then you can fill in the theory gaps
later. And when you do the theory it falls into place much quicker
because you can relate it to the practical stuff you have done.
Gingre is probably in a good position to do that, if he picks the
right courses.

Dave.

Re: Basic electronics course

My understanding is that many years ago Phil had the opportunity to gain
formal qualifications (he got a scholarship), but after partially completing
his studies he dropped out of uni.

For people already in the electronics industry that just want to gain formal
qualifications or increase their skill level, there are plenty of avenues to
go down.  Unfortunately finding the right path isn't always that easy.
There are plenty of mobs out there offering the Earth and delivering bugger
all. :-(  if it's just a paper qualification the OP is after, all he need do
is check the Yellow Pages.  :P

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Basic electronics course
No, more like basic hardware principles and practicals.

Re: Basic electronics course

Pitched towards (amateur) radio but possibly still of interest is the course
offered by the Radio & Electronics School.
http://www.radioelectronicschool.net /

This bit might be especially useful:
http://www.radioelectronicschool.net/index.php?cmd=about

'There is a mechanism in place whereby students who have successfully
completed one of these courses can attain (if they so choose) Certificates
of Electro-technology.'

Re: Basic electronics course

I see these references are amateur radio. I passed my City and Guilds UK 3
hour exam in the early sixties and have a full licence.