Basic 24hour on/off timer

I have two 12VSLA batteries which I want to keep trickle charged, but I don't want to have two chargers ($50-00 each) Does someone have a basic timer circuit which would work 24hrs on/24hrs off? I would join both -ves together, and have the two +ves toggles to a relay. Many thanks in advance. Rob. Melbourne.

Reply to
Fonz

Why don't you put the batteries in parallel and trickle charge both at the same time?

Reply to
APR

What happens when I put a used battery on the charger with a full one? Will it just trickle and not fully charge the empty one?

"APR" > Does someone have a basic timer circuit which would work 24hrs on/24hrs

Reply to
Fonz

The way for many people here would be to set up a simple PIC circuit, driving a relay to do the job, or use a 555 timer that outputs a pulse every 5 seconds into a 4020 binary counter. You could then use the /16.384 pin 3 to power the relay via a suitable transistor. This would give a changeover approximately every 24 hours. (The 4060 even has its own inbuilt oscillator, so it would be even simpler to get up and running :)

However If you want it ultra simple, cheap, and fast and 12 hours a battery is ok, go to Bunnings, buy one of those $5 mechanical timers intended for mains appliances, set it to 12 hours on/12 hours off, and use it to power a relay to switch between the 2 batteries, I think this would be the cheapest and most reliable (set and forget) system for you. Also if there is a blackout, the timer will remember its position, and the battery will still end up with the same number of hours of charge.

as for a relay, I would use one of those 12v high-current automotive relays, power it from a 12vdc plugpack that you plug into the timer directly.

If your like the rest of us, you would probably have a +12v dc plugpack lying around, or would be able to buy one for a few bucks from your local electrical store/pawnbroker etc.

If you want an indication of whether the relay is on or off, you could add a LED with a 1k resistor in series, or a small 12v bulb across the relay coil terminals.

---------------IMPORTANT (for car batteries) ------------------- Finally, keep the relay (and timer) away from the battery if possible, or put them in a sealed enclosure, since some batteries emit a flammable gas when charging, and a spark from relay/timer contacts opening and closing might be enough to ignite the gas and start a fire.

Reply to
Kr

Just isolate the two batteries by joining the negatives together and feed the charger through two diodes, one to each positive.

-- Sell your surplus electronic components at

Search or browse for that IC, capacitor, crystal or other component you need.

Reply to
Alan

if it is an intelligent charger, and needs to measure terminal voltage etc, this will create a major problem

Reply to
Kr